What is more detrimental?

There was a big breastfeeding debate yesterday. Then the issue of teen pregnancy came up. In your opinion what is more detrimental to a child in the long run- Formula Feeding or being born to a Teen Mom. Just curious how others think. No worried about how you feel about FF Moms or Teen Moms- just the effect on the kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, statistically speaking, more children grow up in poverty when they are born to teenage mothers, but I'm not sure what being FF or BF would have to do with that. A fed child is a fed child, no matter where the food comes from.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My lord! There is nothing wrong with either... There are pleanty of formula fed kids that grow up happy and healthy. And there are tons of good teen moms.. Age has nothing to do with being a good mom... Neither are going to be "detrimental to the child in the long run."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with Sabrina - the two are unrelated, and also - age is completely unrelated to parenting skills.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with sabrinaMBowen on this.

Answer by louise2 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• A child born to a teen mother is much more likely to live in poverty and more likely to become a teen parent. Teen parents are less likely to have a college education and earn less money in their lifetimes.

Is this true for everyone? Of course not! Do all smokers get cancer? Of course not.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:03 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• hmmm... hard to answer, but if I am being honest and taking into account that I am no expert but have read the paper and watched the news on both topics I would have to say that you would be better off starting life as a FF child born into an intact relationship where both parents are older and stable than being a BF baby born to a single Teen Mom. I know I threw in relationship status too... so all things being equal- I would say FF over Teen Mom.

BUT, I believe good kids come from all types of backgrounds so no one thing is an indicator of success.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't think either one if detrimental. Al my kids are bottle feed formula babies that are straight A students. So blows that out of water. And I know teen moms that are wonderful parents with well adjusted kids. I know "married" couples that are pretty crappy parents. Stop trying to start trouble.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Teen parent would be more detrimental based on current research.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree, Teen Mom more of an issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• To me, it is irresponsible that there are moms that aren't paying for her child's expenses. It is troublesome to see moms who are not equip to care for their child, who rely or even depend on others to satisfy the minimal requirements like feed, cloth, provided a clean and safe environment for their kid.

My opinion regarding the formula vs breast feeding is: As long as the child is getting his nutritional needs meet it should not be an issue, it is more of a preference and it is a very personal decision that only a mother and her child can dictate.

So I guess I rather see kids in formula than kids having kids.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:13 AM on Aug. 4, 2009