Have you seen this? Stupid in America

How is your kids school?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I have seen that a while back. The schools my kids have attended have relied on the parents to do most of the teaching..... so made sure my kids know the truth of what happened through history.
    JonesboroGypsy

Answer by JonesboroGypsy at 9:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I home school. I do all the teaching, choosing the curriculum and overseeing the kids work.

They have to work hard, memorize, and I always know where their weaknesses and strengths lie.

I can let them go at their own pace, or make them slow down and master what skill they need.

Homeschooling is not for everyone, but we love it!

teacher

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

•  

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Revolution get the liberals out and conservatives in teaching our children.That would solve alot of the problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Homeschooling by a parent who takes their role as a teacher seriously would have to be better, but it's an unfair comparison because of the student to teacher ratio.

Having worked in education over 10 years, I have seen what is causing the problems. 1) Some students do have bad teachers, but most teachers work very hard to help kids learn. The bad ones give the rest of us a bad name. 2) Teachers have almost no ability to discipline students because parents have stopped trusting schools...see point number 1. 3) The more students get plugged into the world with IPods, PCs, and other tech, the harder it is to keep students interested. 4) NCLB has led to a focus on the 3Rs; is it any wonder kids have a hard time talking about history, science, art, etc? 5) Some teachers are forced to teach in appalling setups.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• During my training, I went to a school where 4 classes were being taught in a gym and the dividers only went up about 12 feet. 5) There are alot of students who come to school inadequately prep'd to learn. They are tired from staying up late or they haven't had a good breakfast. Some have parents that let them make their own lunches, and those lunches are heavy on junk, light on nutrition. 6) A lot of power has been taken away from teachers. We want to be interesting and creative, but NCLB has caused some of our bosses to be so paranoid about results that we are being pressured into script teaching. 7) Our culture doesn't really value education. Who are the highest paid individuals...celebrities get paid to party, athletes get paid to play, actors get paid to look pretty and emote on camera. What do highly educated teachers, lawyers, professors, etc. get? Jokes and lawsuits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Thank you Anon 14. Teachers get blamed so often--and labeled according to political opinion very unfairly. I gladly invite any one into my classroom to see that my political views have no place in my classroom or effect on my instruction. This misconception is most unfortunate--but those who boast it will never admit the folly of their ways.  With that, I am off to work on my classroom--students return in 13 days! Where did the summer go?  :)

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 12:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• anon 7:25, you'll indoctrinate my kids over my dead body. I'm liberal and I homeschool. I don't trust public schools declining standards.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2009