Is religion genetic or is is learned?

Are people born with an inner need or draw towards the belief of Gods or do they believe because the thought of a God was planted into their minds by others in their community/clan/society?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe it's a learned thing...
    If you are born into a family of religious background (of any kind) you are taught from almost day one of this...
    If you are born into a family of no religious background (of any kind) there is no learning it unitl you step out into the world...i.e school, friends, work.tv, radio...etc....then of course you hear about it and then if you are interested ... again you learn about it...
    But I do not think you are born with it...(JMO)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Born with it. It's society that screws it up. I know of too many kids that understand God at a young age, but have never been in a church, or taught. Listen closely to the little ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Maybe a little of both?

I do think that humans have an inward yearning towards worship or directing their adoration towards something or someone.

I also think that a lot of people hold religions based on what other people feel and what other people tell them.

I think that God is real and that he calls people to himself so to me, worshipping him is neither genetic nor influenced. I chose him because he chose me first :-) Now many of my specific doctrinal beliefs that are not vital to my salvation or walk with God, those were influenced. My faith and my relationship with God are because I know him personally :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It is taught by the parents and or society.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Both, and there is a spot in your temporal lobe, that when stimulated will give you a religious experience. Some people with temporal lobe epilepsy have extremely intense religious experiences, due to this spot being repeatedly stimulated.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Do you suppose if all children are born leaning towards faith in a God, that if left alone and not forced into denominations, we would find there would be more similarities among what they believe? Is it the grown-ups who are to blame for making them choose doctrines?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• God means many things to many people, even within the same denomination. some are passionate, some are followers, some are legalists, etc. there may be some 'blame' put on the guardians of children to mold their thinking of God and various doctrines, but their certainly are plenty of children/adults who grow up, mature in their understanding of God(s) and choose their own, apart from their heritage.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• ''there''..must have more coffee...
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:23 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have a problem with children being 'taught' what to believe about God and religion. To me, this is not following your heart, but rather following and choosing between the many things you have learned from other people- which could be right or totally disturbed. Do you not think if left alone, a child will find his own way with God is it was meant to be?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• BOTH. My mother did her best to raise her daughters as strict Christians. However, from a very young age, I didn't agree with their beliefs and teachings. I had a very strong pull towards the goddess. And held a very firm belief in other gods and "magical" beings that the everyday Christian will tell you isn't there. As I grew up, I have found proof of these things, as well as seen my visions come true and experienced both magick and past life memories...

I have said many times that Paganism chose me... Being raised the way I was there was NO room allowed for other paths, but I have always held the beliefs I have today. It's like I have a memory of them from a time I couldn't possibly have lived in...

So, while I was taught religion, I always knew my path... I think this is why so many are raised one way and even with no knowledge or understanding of other paths don't feel comfortable where they are, until they "stray".

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2009