My daughter is terrified!

My daughter is almost 5 and for the past week or so she's been terrified to be in our house. As soon as she comes from school she just sits outside on the patio and only comes inside for a min. She has a hard time falling asleep even though I lay down with her in the room. She keeps putting the blanket over her head etc. When she is inside she keeps looking behind her back checking if someone is there and she thinks she's hearing things upstairs which are usually noises from next door. Nothing happened in the house for her to be so scared. We never leave her alone, never scare her so I'm kind of worried. Is this just a phase? And how can I help her get over it. I tried talking to her and explaining that there is nothing to be affraid, that there is no one there...didn't work. She's getting worse and worse. What can I do to help her?

hazeleyezmama07

Asked by hazeleyezmama07 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried asking her? I know that sounds like a simple solution but many times we forget to ask them what's happening. If she's scared of monsters being upstairs make a big production out of going monster hunting. Look in ALL the closets, drawers, ender beds, etc. Leave no stone unturned. When you're done you go Shucks and I was hoping to find a monster today. I've been hunting 46 (your age) years and have yet to find a monster. I've always wanted to see one. You may have to do this several times but eventually it turns into a fun game and you can cut down on where you look.

You also take along your handy dandy monster spray that keeps them away cause they hate flowers. (Decorate a can of air freshener) Make sure they have one for protection as well.

Something or someone has said something that has scared her and you need to help her to realize in her mind there's nothing there to hurt her.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I've asked her and she told me she is scared and she thinks there is something/someone upstairs and me and my mom both tried few things to show her there is nothing there and we played a game but nothing worked. I even told her that there was special magic dust that mommy put around the room and house that will make sure nothing comes in so her answer every time we talk about it is "I know, I know but i'm still scared" I dunno what else to do. She even stopped doing certain things that she loves in the house or before she goes to sleep because she is scared.
    hazeleyezmama07

Answer by hazeleyezmama07 at 10:07 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Is daddy in the picture? If so have him go on the monster hunt. Like I said it could take a few times but it has helped with the various foster kids we have had that are scared of the dark, monsters, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009