Whole Chicken

I need help ladies!! I have never cooked a whole chicken. I am young (22) and I never had to cook until I met my husband and then all of a sudden I was cooking every night, didn't know what the hell I was doing really but somehow it always turned out alright. I never had the want-to to cook while living at my parents' so my mom never taught me. My problem is I have a whole chicken that needs to be cooked and I don't know how. Any receipes or suggestions? Thanks!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Wash the chicken inside and out, be sure to pick off any little pinfeathers. Then, turn your oven on to 350 degrees and get a pan out that will hold the chicken. Rub it inside and outside (especially under the skin as much as possible) with this:

Spicy Chicken Rub:
    4 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. paprika
    3/4 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. thyme
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder

When you're done putting the spices on, place the chicken in the pan on its back. Cut up a medium onion and place in the cavity of the bird. Cover lightly with foil and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. You'll know the chicken is done when the legs can be twisted easily and/or the meat practically falls off.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Be sure to remove the giblet bag, the bag with the heart, live, gizzard in it. I boil these in a little water for the stock. Wash the chicken and remove pinfeather- you'll see tiny bits of feathers sometimes. Place the chicken in a deep pan or a roasting pan, salt all over. My mother likes seasoned salt. Bake according to the directions that came with the chicken. Some have a timer that pops up. Otherwise get a meat thermometer, stick it in the thickest part of the chicken, and it should read no lower than 165. A 4 lb chicken takes about an hour and half at 350 F. I cover chicken when I bake it so that I don't need to baste. My mother bakes it uncovered and bastes it with the juices as they come out. Hers has a nice crispy skin. Get a good cookbook so that you can sit and browse through it for recipes, and there are lots of recipe sites online- recipezaar.com, allrecipes.com are two that are good.

Answer by Bmat at 9:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• just put the whole chicken in a good roasting pan and roast it "flash style". with no seasoning or tin foil. put your oven on 425 and stay home, don't leave while it is roasting. if you have a 3 lb. bird it will take about 45 minutes-maybe an hour. the skin will be crispy and the meat wonderful. after you cut the meat off the bone season it with whatever you like.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You already have several good recipes so I will only add keep an eye on your local market. Lots of big markets do food prep demos regularly. Sometimes they even offer inexpensive lessons. First thing you get a chance...buy Betty Crocker Home and Garden cookbook. It is a good well rounded first cookbook. Has many simple recipes. It also has areas that teach cuts of meat, measures and weights, substitutes and cooking term. Even though my Mother taught me a lot about cooking as a newlywed I had a recipe that called for "braising" and I had no clue what that was. That cookbook was a lifesaver more than once.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• 1 chicken-about 3 1/2 lbs
    4 1/2 tbs cider vinegar
    2 1/2 tbs garlic salt
    1 1/2 tbs onion powder
    1 1/2 tsp ground ginfer
    1 tsp paprika
    1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple
    1 c. ketchup
    1/4 c. packed brown sugar
    1/4 c. soy sauce.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken BREAST SIDE DOWN on a rack in a roasting pan. Prick skin all over (including the wings and in the joints) with a fork. Combine next 5 ingredients. Brush over chicken. Bake for 30 minutes. Brush with remaining baste & turn breast side up. Roast another 30 minutes. Combine pineapple & juice, ketchup, brown sugar & soy sauce. Spoon over chicken (you will have extra) & roast 15 minutes more or until chicken is glazed and the leg moves easily. Serve with remaining sauce.
    bocamom62

Answer by bocamom62 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009