Why do some people think any spanking is child abuse?

Yes I spank my kids. I want my kids to know that they have to respect and obey me. I do not beat my kids. I was beat as a child and I dont do that to my kids. My kids do not bully other kids. People always comment on what good kids I have.

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 9:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• nope posted a ? yesterday and folks got nasty
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Because they see any type of touching your child as abuse. I've seen a wide range of what people consider abuse and what actually is abuse and they are no where near the same. As a foster parent I have SEEN abuse and spanking your child is no where near abuse. I've even heard that standing them in the corner for a time out some now consider abusive because it isolates your child and you should never isolate them. It might harm their personalities.

A swat or two on the butt has never harmed a child as long as it is within reason. Yes positive reinforcement works (for some), sticker charts (for some), time outs (for some), etc. but it does not work for every child. Each child is different and each wrong doing requires something different at times.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Everyone has their opinions on what is and isn't the "right" way to discipline a child. If you feel it's right, that's great. Stick to your guns and don't let other people bother you. I, personally, don't spank. I don't think it's child abuse until the person spanking is only doing it because THEY are frustrated and when it goes farther than a swat on the butt. There's nothing wrong with a quick swat to get a child's attention, especially if they're doing something dangerous. Spanking is far more than black and white, there's a huge grey area in between, like, what's the right or wrong age to do it, when does it become abuse, is it abuse, is it effective, etc.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my dad spanked me and set right from wrong in my head quickly. and i thank God for it. yes some parents take spanking way little too far. but i wouldn't trade my raising for any of this "me generation" ways of life where most kids run over their parents.
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't know. My LO won't be here for a couple more weeks so I really have no room to talk, but I have seen some parents wailing thier children in public. Its really scary because if they do that in public imagine what they are capable of at home. On the other hand I have one girlfriend in particular who uses the "thats not nice" theory, she doesn't raise her voice or anything and her son is THE BIGGEST BRAT!!!!!! It has gotten to the point where our group of friends won't invite them out because when ever we do its complete choas. And forget trying to talk to her about, he's a 'little boy and they do those things" There needs to be some sort of medium when it comes to punishing children.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• lol..
    The first poster...they may be right. I mean...people who drink too much...have you ever heard them say "Yea...well you're right I DO have a drinking problem?"
    People believe that spanking is assault. You are hitting. So it is viewed as legalized assault of a child. They are defenseless against it. I will tell you it is not effective. "Well there's a proper way to spank"

haha. Okay.

Another thing thats weird...is that did you know that once a child reaches a certain age, if you spank them, you can go do JAIL and the child can press charges (atleast in Texas. The age is 17). THis happened to a family member... She went to school after being spanked and they called the cops.
    So, you can spank your child all of their childhood, no one interferes, yet when they become old enough to be able to defend themselves, its against the law! LOL. Weird, but hey, America is made up of fucked of l;aws anyway.

Happy Tuesday :-)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Jillybeans, we saw a small boy , well, my husband saw him while we were driving by Target, his mom popped him reallllyyy hard in the back. Ppl do not care these days. I figure if you're gonna spank, the least you could do is take them somewhere private. Some places here do not allow it (in their business).
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Babycakes said it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't think spanking is abuse, although I do think an angry parent can take it too far. There comes an age where spanking is no longer effective or appropriate. My kids at 8 and 9 are at a point where it hurts them a whole lot more to take away their screen time than spanking - if given a choice they would choose the spanking to go ahead and get it over with rather than have their punishment drag out over a week. But when they were younger it was a quick, effective tool to get a point across and make them remember the rules.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2009