My cat has decided that the world is his litterbox.

My cat has always been very clean and has been house broken from the time I got him. I clean his litterbox every 2-3 days( sometimes I forget, but usually it is cleaned). But for the last couple weeks he just goes wherever he feels like it. I found some in the corner of our spare bedroom, I left my suitcase open on the floor only to find that when I emptied it later on that he peed all over my jeans, sometimes he just goes to the opposite corner from where his litterbox is and goes over there. Could he be sick? Is he mad at me for something? Should I clean his litterbox more often? HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pets

• I clean mine every day. Cats like things to be clean. The cat may have had a bad experience with the box- either that it was dirty or a loud noise when using or who knows. If he is just peeing, then he may have a urinary tract infection- if you notice urgency in his behavior and he only goes a little each time, then he may be in pain from a URI and needs to be checked. If it is more casual going, then he'll have to be retrained to use his box. Keep it carefully cleaned every day. Wipe down the areas where he's gone with an ammonia and water solution or a cleaner especially made for cat smell problems. Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 9:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Bmat suggested to use an ammonia and water solution, however, you should NOT use ammonia, as that is the chemical in cat urine to make it stink so awfully bad. Using ammonia to clean it up will only make the problem persist.

It sounds to me like kitty is under stress. Be it he is ill, has a UTI, or just plain ol' stress. Have there been any changes in your house recently? A new puppy? A new baby? Are you pregnant? Has the weather changed drastically? Someone get a new job? Any little thing can disrupt his routine if he is ultra-sensitive. You might check with your vet to make sure he doesn't have a UTI, or any other kind of illness. If that's ruled out, there's something else going on that's bothering your little guy.

Oh! And you can try a litter box deodorizer powder, and switch to ScoopAway litter for a while and see if that helps at all... it has really good deodorizing power!

Good luck to you!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If kitty is starting to get old, that could be a problem too. My grandmother's cat has ALWAYS used her litter box and she is like 14yrs old now and is starting to use the carpet as her litter box.
    It could also be a UTI. My aunt is going to school to be a vet and said she knows when her cats have a UTI because they will urinate where ever they feel the urge. UTI is very common in cats. If you take him to the vet, they will be able to do a UTI test and tell you.
    You definitely should clean his litter box more often. I have to scoop my cats litter box 2-3 times a DAY because they are clean animals.
    You may need to retrain him if nothing else works. I had to start picking my cat up and bringing her to the litter box after I had my DD. Now she goes potty at the same time I do and then curls up on my lap while I finish using the bathroom.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 2:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Hi - I bet your cat has some urinary issues ?  infection or possible crystals in the urine / kidney.  You may want to see the vet for help:

Also, here is some help for Cats - help to avoid urinary infections, stones, and kidney failure - Cats have alot of troubles with the kidney.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2008/8/UTI-cat.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 6:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009