What should happen at a lactation consultation?

What exactly happens at this consultation and how long should the LC be with you and your baby? I'm paying $200 and dont want it to go to waste. I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth...I plan on getting my baby back on the breast, will an LC help with that?

WANDY218

Asked by WANDY218 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You couldn't see one for free at the hospital where you delivered?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i see the LC at the hospital and it's free.
    she should check the latch, your breasts and nipples, and the baby's mouth. an LC is an excellent choice to get baby back to breast. she will probably suggest a nipple shield first then wean off that to go to the breast.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ask questions about the nursing relationship. Weigh baby. Check latch. Help with positioning. Give you pain remedies. Give you breastfeeding accessories like a nipple shield. Give you tips and literature. A lactation consultant is probably the only person to help you get back to the breast. Good luck =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• check if there is a local le leche league near you...they offer free counseling and support groups :)

good luck!
    heyullama

Answer by heyullama at 11:30 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I had a free one from both hospital AND my work place..... They check things like latch, weigh the baby, answer any questions, give you tips on how to hold baby, get more milk, etc.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• She will ask you some general questions, and observe you breastfeeding, and assess what your issues are. She will ask about the issues surrounding your baby not being on the breast, and she should follow you until things are going smoothly.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2009