My daughter is 6month. started cereal about 4wks ago. She's eatting brown rice, barely and oatmeal. She doesnt open her mouth when the spoon is placed in front of her. I have to wait until she is talking and put the food in, or push it open with the spoon. I mimic eatting the cereal myself, but when its her turn she just looks at me and the spoon like we're crazy. She opens her mouth wide open for her bottle! My friend told me her son opened his mouth right way. Should I just be patient?

LeahsMama

Asked by LeahsMama at 9:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Patience. Just keep plugging away and she'll get the idea that the spoon means food. I've also had to sneak the food in and would recommend that you put bare minimum on it so she doesn't choke until she gets the idea. Also try mixing the cereal with formula and not water and keep it soupy for a while.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It sounds like she's just not ready for yet. Don't force her, just wait til she shows you she's ready.
    Hecate9

Answer by Hecate9 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Just be patient. It sounds like she's not ready yet. Try again when she seems more interested in eating. Don't force her and don't just put the spoon in her mouth while she's not ready for it.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with the above answers. I'd back off for a while and try again another time. then make a soupy mixture with formula and a tiny bit of cereal and put just a little on the spoon. Open your mouth and she should mimic you and open hers, then you can put the tiny amount in. Don't do it when she isn't ready or when you have to open her mouth.

Answer by Bmat at 10:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Many nutritionists recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ive read the super baby food book too! It's great. rkoloms is absolutely correct. Eating (after 6 months), but before age 1 isn't about eating really, it'a about Learning to eat. It's like learning to write letters as a preschooler. You wouldn't just give them a pencil and say here, write the letter a. No, you would show them how to hold the pencil, how to make the moves on the paper, and what letters look like. Same as eating. Let her hold a spoon, while you feed her. Let her watch you eat. Open her mouth (with the spoon) and put the food in. Part of learning to eat is learning to use the muscles associated with eating. Give her time, keep trying, and be pateint about it.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• She's not ready yet. Give her a few weeks and try again. Let her watch you and play with an empty bowl and spoon though. It's just fun. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree that it sounds like she's not yet ready. Don't push it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009