Newborn won't sleep at night HELP!!!!!

Okay so my peanut is a little over a month old now and I kept hearing "oh his sleeping pattern will change soon no worries" well a month later he think it's daytime at night, he wakes up at midnight and takes small catnaps and lately for some reason doesn't even want to go to bed until 12PM I think he's trying to make the switch but he just hasn't got there yet, If I could sleep during the day I would but with three other kids and a house to run I just can't. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this transition a little faster but smooth? Thanks!!!

momof4520

Asked by momof4520 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Things I did that helped: we have a "hearbeat" bear that is motion/sound activated and sounds like a heart, very small silkie blanket that I wore underneath my shirt during the day and tucked in with him at night so he would have my scent, most importantly i woke him every 3 hours during the day to eat and let him sleep at night so he would learn that's when he could sleep longer.
    With my 1st I played a classical music radio station at night in the bathroom next to him room which seemed to help also.

Answer by missanc at 11:30 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son would stay up until 4am and sleep until 8am with just tiny cat naps here and there until he was 8 months old. Then one night he just started sleeping through the night. Sometimes it just takes time. That first night of sleep after 8 months felt great to old mommy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was 18 months old. Good Luck!!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 10:32 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't want him to sleep through the night in any means, I'm not comfortable with that, what I'm asking is how to get him to sleep at night he can wake up for feedings at night, it would freak me out if he slept all the way through the night. I just would like him up more during the day and sleep more at night.
    momof4520

Answer by momof4520 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Try playing a nature sounds/ocean sounds CD in your baby's room at night. We tried a lot of things with our son when he was newborn and it did help quite a bit. :) Good luck!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my son is now 5 weeks old and had been having the same problem. My doc told me to keep him in well lit noisy rooms during the day and wake him every couple hours and at bedtime have it quiet and dark. after a week it worked and now he wakes up at 12 and 4 for feedings and goes right back to sleep.
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• He's a month old... there is NO help. This is normal. It will be several more months before he gets his days & nights straight & starts sleeping "through the night" (which can mean as little as 5 continuous hrs)

Welcome to Parenthood!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I put my pillowcase in with my kids. Do you swaddle him? Have you tried a bath and a massage and then get him nice and full swaddle him up and rock him? There was a way I had to hold mine and a baby I babysat to make them go to sleep. You have to swaddle them and then when you are rocking them put their head on you arm (i am having a prob describing this) makeing sure you ar supporting the head with your arm but let the head kind of roll back and forth a little bit. I know it sounds weird. But it always made mine go to sleep.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 11:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• k first of all his one month give it a rest. HE WONT SLEEP THRU THE NITE HIS TOO YOUNG. HELL MY 5 MTH OLD DOESNT SLEEP THRUT HE NITE. MY DD SLEPT THRU THE NITE AT 3 MTS. IS CALL MOTHERHOOD
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My Doc. suggested to me that I not let my DD go longer than 3 hrs. without eating at that age. Don't let him nap longer than 3 hrs. during the day.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009