School doesnt allow siblings on field trips or class party's?

my son is entering kindergarten and i have two other children to stay home with while he is at school. dad will be going on deployment during the school year, so i will be alone, and i dont know anyone who could babysit. i want to be involved in his school as much as possible but with them not allowing the siblings at either type of school event it is hard to get involved! any suggestions? anyone go through this before and have a tip or and idea?
thanks in advance

katie_s1

Asked by katie_s1 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in

• Yeah our school never let siblings come into class either- while it is great that you want to helpout so much- other kids who are not classmates are a total distraction- if you are a military wife, can you meet some of the local teens whose parents are also military and ask them to watch your kiddos? Or ask the teacher if she knows anyone? Ask a neighbor or if you see someone who has a little on or kiddos your age ask them who they use?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• that's odd that a school won't allow siblings at a class party, my son's school, there are always siblings at the parties. And for field trips, i was told i could come and bring my little one, i just had to drive seperately was all.

I would go to the teacher, then principal and ask why this is a policy? It's not very family-frinedly. you should be able to at least go have lunch sometimes with your child (with the siblings). And, i think leagally, they are not allowed to deny you acess to your child at any time (with or without your other kids with you).
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Have you tried getting in touch with other moms in the class who may have the same problem and do a "take turn" schedule. You trade off the sitting duties and get the one at the event to take pictures. That way you and the other mom(s) can go to some or most of the events.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You could homeschool, so their stupid rules won't interfere with your family's time.

They are allowed to deny access to the school grounds, buildings and outings, actually. They are allowed to have trespassing parents arrested.

Schools have no reason to be family-friendly, so it's unlikely they'll modify their policies to suit anyone's situation.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:23 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It's not an uncommon guideline and it does have a practical reason. Many parents ignore it and bring siblings to class functions. It can be disruptive & take away from the students' experience. In addition, the rooms are sized for a specific number of people, adding siblings, plus parents, to the students can create a crowd control issue. My son's K class did a talent show. Lots of siblings showed up to the "no siblings please" event. It was absolutely rotten for the kids that went towards the end of the show. The younger kids were getting restless, no one was able to listen or focus on the performers. At a party in his 1st grade class, one of the younger sibs wandered away while mom was caught up in helping with a craft project. Everything came to a halt while we looked for the missing 2 year old. The classroom door had been open for outdoor activities and the toddler wandered outdoors. She was sitting with another mom.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• To answer your question though, you're not the only mom in this situation. Some mom's in our classrooms have done a co-op deal. They don't all make everything. The events Mom A goes to, Mom B stays home to babysit.

Some teachers do turn a blind eye to the rule. Talk to your son's teacher and ask what you can in light of this particular challenge. If you think your kids will tolerate time in the classroom without being a disruption, you may be able to bring them along from time to time despite the guidelines. My son's teachers have, occasionally, overlooked the rule as long as it wasn't an every time occurrence.

Is there a vo-tech school or a college in the area? Sometimes those schools offering child care or education classes will provide child care or at least have a way to advertise for sitters.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• thank you all for the answers, there is a school here that trains for teachers and they do have daycare, but i will not pay them because they are the same price as a regular daycare. i will talk to the teacher on orientation and ask if there may be a loophole, and i might be able to find someone around here, its all kind of up in the air until i talk to other mothers from the class.
    thank you all
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• ok, maybe some states can deny access. But some can't. It's not treaspassing if you report to the office, state your intentions (to see your child), and have a pass to go to the child's room/area.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I can see siblings not going on fieldtrips, but class parties they should be able to go to. My son's elementary school actually started a playgroup type thing so that parents with younger kids can help out and still bring their kids to the school. The parents took turns watching the kids. Talk to the principal about options.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• AT my kids schools younger siblings are welcome, my son has been to everyone of my daughters school functions (not field trips just parties and things) even AR parties and student council party I told the pto point blank if they wanted my help I had to bring my son, now that hes starting school Ill be able to help out more in the classroom with actually doing things rather just standing by and watching!! I would say talk to the teacher, other moms, maybe moms with young children not in school yet, are you on the base or close to the base? sometimes they have like a drop off service where you can drop your kids off for few hours for little or no money ( i know my parents took advantage of this alot when i was growing up) also check with local scouting groups and churches sometimes they too have drop off babysitting service
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009