bruise on lower back

My toddler always seems to have a penny sized or smaller bruise on her lower back area (often on either side of the end of the spinal cord). It's not always in the same spot, but there is always one there. I understand bruises on legs, arms tummy etc from playing, but that's an odd spot on her back to have one. Anyone else have this? She's at day care so it's possible other kids are throwing toys and what not. But it just seems odd to me. Anyone know if it could be a sign of something else? Or just normal toddle bruising?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've seen these bruses on my son too, he looks 5 (hes four) and hes a bit taller then his average toddler peers. He is a bit thick but when he bends over in the spots were he gets the bruse is were his back bone protudes a bit. Chairs, toys, peers at pre school, crawling under or through play ground equip. wall courners, it happens. It happens to us, we just dont pay attention..lol. Unless there is a bumps under it or its a very odd colour for a bruse, and or gets bigger and your child complains, i would'nt put too much into it.
    Peace.
    EarthHippy

Answer by EarthHippy at 12:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Both of my kids get them from their carseats and/or booster seats at the table.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i would just ask. you can read a lot on someones face when asked about this. i worked at a daycare, and i would NEVER hurt a child. so i always preferred when a parent just asked what happened. we have a lot going on during the day and sometimes little bumps are unfortunately sometimes unmentioned. BUT if the teacher is just lying and seems guilty, go straight to the director. your child should never be purposely hurt by the teacher. it is a tad odd that bruise happens to be in same spot. you might also ask where her fave place to play is and check out where she sleeps at nap time. maybe she sits and hits the same part of the bookshelf in the block area....that type of thing. i hope that your daughter is safe at daycare! HTH
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My grandson had the same thing happening. We thought at first he must be bumping something crawling under stuff. Nope, his carseat was the problem. We found a piece of memory foam, cut it to fit. No more bruises and he doesn't get fussy when out for a day of errands . He will actually fall asleep in it now. I felt bad. I had never had a carseat or booster that wasn't padded well all the way down.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• could it be Mongolian spots? What ethnicity is your child? Those of Mongolian heritage often have these on lower back, buttocks, legs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I doubt it's mongolian spots. I just read up on it and it sounds like it would be in the same spot. The bruise will come and go just stays in the general area. And daughter doesn't have the general heritages listed. I'll check the car seat, but it is well padded. But I guess anything could be irritating it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• MY SON GETS THE EXACT SAME ONES IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT - sorry about the caps but He's pretty tall and thin so I just assume its when he lays down to get changed cause he basically tantrum throws himself down lol!! but its constant also -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my 14month old gets them too(ill have to check the carseat thing) she is a bit taller and chunky than normal as well.i thought it was from her crawling under things ecouse she has a bad habit of that,she also has tons of bruises on her knees and legs from climbing.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2009