Am I wrong?

I went out to dinner with my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years and his mom. His mom was taking him out to dinner for his birthday that she missed because she broke her ankle. Anyway, it seemed like a nice evening then the check came. (note I wasnt expecting her to pay for me) So anyway the check came and my boyfriend says to his mom.. What do I owe for Jan's dinner? what he said made me feel really uncomfortable. I got defensive and said I could pay for my own dinner she said that she was paying for dinner and not to worry about it. Of course i thanked her for the dinner. Am I wrong for feeling uncomfortable. Am I just being silly?

Jani2594

Asked by Jani2594 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes, you're being silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree, everyone there was gracious, including you, so it is best just to forget it. I don't know if you'll want to call or send a note thanking her for the meal- it's up to you. :)

Answer by Bmat at 11:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think so, your boyfriend sound as a gentleman who wouldn't take advantage of his mom's generosity. Once the mom take it upon herself to pick up your tab you did the right thing by thanking her. Don't take offense on it, I see none on any of their parts. If I were you, I would next time offer to take his mom out for coffee or something to repay the courtesy if you feel so incline to do so.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Let this one go :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• yes, you are being silly. It's ok to accept a free meal.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009