Is the SS office stupid in your state too?

Here in GA, it takes jumping through hoops of fire past roaring, hungry tigers to get a new SS card. My wallet was stolen and I had to get a new one. The have the option to print the form online to mail in to the local SS office along with the needed documents. What they DON'T tell you on the website is that they will only accept ORIGINALS. Meaning I'd have to send my REAL driver's license in the damn mail! I originally sent a photocopy of my ID, and got a letter back saying they had to physically see the real thing. UM, WTF? Why, then, would they allow you to pring the form ONLINE? Why do they expect you to send in your ACTUAL ID? Sorry, I'm just freakin pissed!!!!! Now I have to make a trip to Savannah which is nearly an hour from this rinky dink town I live in!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just go to the social security office and get a new card. I would NEVER send someone my drivers license. that is just stupid. Hello, what are you supposed to do without your license in the mean time and do they send it back to you when they are done? Sorrry, I wouldn't do it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• when i got a new ss card, i had to mail my original divers liscence in too (i live in alabama)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I went with my boyfriend to the SS place which is 4 hours away and we were there for about an hour...he filled out the paperwork with no problems...they gave him a temporary one and sent him a new one within a week or so.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Because anyone could have a copy of your driver's license. They are great about mailing back original documents, I've been dealing with them steadily for a while now and haven't had any problems. BTW, SS is a federal thing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2009