i dont get it???

ya just got home from the town hall after spending 250.00$ on a school bus pass and am now looking at the school list to buy . why does it loook like we are also paying for the teachers supplies also?after spending 200.00$on cheerleading because we are forgoing soccer which is getting us know where which was 300.00$i dont remember ever spending money like this.and what about the parents that just dont have that kind of money?do there children go into school saying we couldnt afford to buy 3 red pens???and 3 boxes of tissues.i dont get that one unless the school thinks the kids are going to go to school with pnuemonia...anybody else have a thoughts?i would drive her but i have seen the line it goes up and around the school and down the neighboring st...

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in

• Some school do request that parents buy extra stuff because some of the kids don't. The year we tried to send our kids to public school we spent tons of money and labeled their school supplies only to find out that the supplies were shared with the whole class and only a hand full of parents bought supplies.
    When we realized that the public school wasn't going to work for us, the only things we were able to keep were their gym shoe's, back pack's and lunch boxes. The school kept the rest and they were only in the school for about 3 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I'm not certain where you live but near Houston it's no better. I complained my son's first year in school after they sent home 3 different school supplies lists at various times in the year. I am not buying the teacher clorox wipes for her to clean her classroom. Buy them yourself. I am not buying extra supplies that they can pass out to the other kids who didn't buy any.

Now that I learned to not send everything at once, I ration it out. He gets the binder, pack of paper, crayons and coloring box, pencil and a box of tissue for the first day of school. A note will be sent to the teacher that due to previous encounters with excessive school supply list, after my son has used what I have sent with him to school then you can send a note home so I can send more supplies for my son and only my son.

I feel insulted that I'm supposed to buy extra for those that don't buy any. That is not my problem.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Seems like alot of money. Our buses are free so I cant imagine buying a bus pass, on the other hand it is probably only $1 each day so 50 cents each way. It probably costs that much to operate the bus plus it is worth the convience. Im sure it is hard to pay the $ in such large chuncks.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• our school doesnt not mix playdo, crayons, pencils, folders, glue sticks..we got all extras back. Teh only thing we didnt get back was papertowels, wipes and tissues. It seems weird to me that schools would do that. I can see putting all glue in a basket and just letting the kids grab one out in kindergarten, but not sending in 5 glues...Im glad our school doesnt do that..but then again we pay for tuition.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• How old is your child and what grade? That does seem like a lot! Maybe they are asking for so much because some parents dont snd school supplies with their kid. We were supposed to bring kleenex, babywipes, baggies and a bunch of other stuff last year. I was broke so I got what I could after I bought what he needed.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my daughter is in 5th grade.good idea though.i am not going to send her in with everything all at once.once she gets out of 5th grade she will be in middle school and there is no way she is going to public middle school.we dont even live in the city.not that it matters, anyway i feel bad for those who cant afford to pay to buy the whole line of stuff at office max but they should get some kind of stypen...but ya i do feel as if i am buying for those that cant...i remember last yr there was a mom thAT is single and all her daughter wanted for xmas was a pair of uggs.well she busted and got them for her.now the teacher turned around and said no uggs in my classroom for some reason that wasnt even relivent.
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 12:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yup, seems to be the new trend - send one child to school, buy supplies for 20 + a couple of teachers.

People wonder how I can afford to homeschool ---- I wonder how I could afford public school.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i see your point...
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Do you prefer teachers pay for all your child's supplies out of their pocket? I have a classroom budget of $200 for the year. This is supposed to cover supplies for 110 students. That is $1.82 per student for the entire year. I spend an average of $500 of my own money every year because parents refuse to help. A free public education means the teachers are not paid from tuition, books, buildings, desks and teachers are provided. Students need to come to school ready to learn and this means prepared with pens, pencils, paper, binders, folders, notebooks, markers, crayons, scissors, rulers, calculators, white out, highlighters, etc. I don't mean to be callous, but it is very frustrating as a teacher to be bound to so many with so little--and be expected by parents to pay for their children because they are in my classroom. Teachers don't control school budgets, but we do all we can for very little in return. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I hate buying school supplies. This year I had bought only what the list said my son would need. I didnt buy the markers, pens, paper, tissues, clorox, hand sanitizer, etc that was on the list cause thats not my responsibility and in his school they combine all the supplies. And you know there are going to be those three or four students whose parents said "iam not buying all that for my kid" and Ill get a note at christmas that he needs more crayons or glue or whatever and Ill buy it because I am going to make sure my kids has what he needs even it no one else will!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2009