What do you think the long-term reprecussions will be from society "over-sexualizing" our youth WAY too early?

I know, I know. "Well I don't let my child play with Barbies or watch over-sexy shows!" But there are a ton of women out there who do.

What do you think these kids (especially girls) will be like once THEY'RE the adults in charge?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Did Hillary Clinton address that problem in her It Takes A Village   book?

I don't know?

Maybe we should ask a Lib.

Or, maybe not...................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think they will be sort of like the women in charge now. Barbie has been around for quite a while already (like over 50 years, right?).

I think it would make for better debate to clarify what you mean by oversexualized. Do you mean by teaching our kids at earlier ages about sex and protecting themselves from STD's? Do you mean by putting them in the latest fashions that make them look like little prostitutes? Let's get specific.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Honestluy even if you try and keep your children away from these things they will still be exposed... its EVERYWHERE!!! Well, we have already seen the reprecussion.... teens being sexually active is one of the big ones. There are so many I can't list them all, and it really depends on the girl and how they are raised as well. It is our responsibility as parents to direct our children even amongst how society as a whole views women, they will know whats out there (unless they are isolated from everything and everone) but we can be the ones to let them who they really are and what should be expected of them. For instance, I have two boys. I will teach my boys to respect women. They will be very open doors and be gentlemen. They will speak kindly with respect. They will learn who the real girl is as a person, and part of that is them having a relationship with me and knowing who I am... .....
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• it'll be like the book 'a brave new world' :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• cont..... knowing me as their mother is actually their first exposure of who women really are. Also I will teach them that sex is only for marriage, as well as what sex means to a woman...... They will know that heart of a women from knowing me and other people they are close to (like thier Aunt). They will learn to understand that those advertisements etc. are just to gain money etc. and do not portray what a women really is and what her true desires are.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• "Do you mean by putting them in the latest fashions that make them look like little prostitutes?"

Yeah, this mostly. I have no problem with informing kids about sex, I was told about sex at age eight because I developed at age nine. I have a daughter, and I frequent the kid's clothing section when I go shopping. Some of the stuff they sell is horrendous and I almost feel bad for the little girls that wear the "sexy" clothing. They're growing up way too fast.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You do realize not that long ago everyone got married and had families at like 13?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think one of the biggest mistakes modern day parents make is that they want so badly to be their child's 'friend' that they end up selling out their most important job. You have a higher percentage of single parents, and speaking from my own observations, those parents (not all mind you) tend to be more lenient on their kids because they feel bad that they are missing out on the other parent (talking about children of divorce). Nobody wants to be Mrs. NO all the time, so you tend to pick your battles. It's hard to determine what impact their clothing choices have on their futures. When you think about it, it seems a bit trivial in a logistic sense, but it's clear to see what direction it leads to. And by that, I mean that many girls are less body conscience and regardless of size will choose to wear things that aren't flattering and to some may look disturbing. *not meant to offend, nasty retort not necessary*

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i think that the poor girls will loose their self worth and that men will continue to think it's ok to treat women like a peice of meat cause the girls that grow up like this let them. i see more crimes like husbands killings wives, porn snuff films etc.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• We are already seeing the results of this 'over sexualization" in a myriad of forms: increased teenage pregnancy, increase in abortions for teenagers, increase in stds in teenagers. No matter how well a child is shielded by parents, they are still inundated with images of rail thin, glamorously and scantily clad visages--all proclaiming in one way or another the wonderful world of sex. It is sometimes overt and other times very subtle--but it is there. In a modern society, such as ours where education is compulsory for children up to age 16 (the legal age for dropping out in most states) and media floods images at consumers 24/7, it takes a most austere and almost Quaker-like approach to living to avoid the sexualizing of our youth. The best we can do is educate, educate, educate our children. We can't protect them from everything, but we can prepare them well if we invest the time.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 12:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2009