DOES ARROGANCE PLAY A ROLE IN RELIGIOUS FANATICISM?

WHAT MAKES SOMEONE BELEIVE THEY ARE HOLIER THAN THOU? OR IS IT A DISTORTION IN THEIR MINDS??

Asked by older at 12:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Like what Cin said, we need to know what you're specifically referring to in order to say anything lol. What might be "sold out" to us, might be a nut to others.

I think that fanaticism is anything that goes above and beyond what your religion expects you to do to the point where you're almost using your religion to make things up to justify the way you want to behave. Christian fanaticism to me, is taking one element of the Bible and elevating it above the rest of the Bible to the point where you're not even following the Bible or God anymore, you're following one idea you got from the Bible and making your own rules and then using it to justify outrageous behavior or speech not becoming of God or the BIble. (i.e.Westboro Baptist Church ). I believe that many of the individuals who do this suffer from severe personality disorders or some type of psychological trauma that's negatively conditioned them.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would think that Narcissism plays a role and arrogance is a characteristic of N so logically speaking you have a point.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• "DOES ARROGANCE PLAY A ROLE IN RELIGIOUS FANATICISM?"
    Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.
    And a "si" for good measure.

I've always said that religious fanatics are arrogant. You can just see it in their typing style or hear it in their voices. I thought humility and humbleness were two virtues members of the three most famous monotheistic religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) were supposed to exhibit. Unfortunately I think some people have taken their love for their religion to extremes. They begin to develop an "I'm better than you because I ((think I)) KNOW THE TRUTH! NEENER NEENER NEENER!" complex.

It's sad. I have no tolerance for people like this. It's possible to be in love with your religion without being haughty, rude, and arrogant.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Absolutely!

Caitxrawks summed it up quite nicely.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It depends on what you mean by religious fanatics. Everyone seems to have a different definition from cult leaders, to normal everyday sold out believers. If you define it better, I will feel more comfortable answering the question, without incriminating myself, lol.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Arrogance and pride born of crippling insecurity
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• it's interesting the Islam was mentioned in the response.. Muslims are forbidden from being arrogant. Arrogance to us means refusal to submit to the truth and it means walking around in pride. Two things which muslims are warned against...

if they walk around in arrogance and pride.. they need to seek refuge in God from it. and do better. Now if refusing to submit to falsehood is considered arrogance..then i bet this is excused. however doesn't mean you should walk around with your head in the sky... we are all sinners all the time..
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

So are Christians but you cannot deny that Muslim fanatics are arrogant.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• "So are Christians but you cannot deny that Muslim fanatics are arrogant."

.. They are pure and simply misguided and misinformed. The interpret on their own without looking back to what the Prophet said, did and meant by his actions.. and they look to religous leaders that are not upon the way of the truth..

I am a muslim fanatic.. I base my life on islam.. however if what you mean by your statement is people who terrorize others in the name of islam.. then they are what i mentioned above and yes.. i woudl say they are arrogant.. because they refuse to submit to the truth...
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• totally
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009