Physicals

Asked the other day but I need more answers. I only take my dd to the doctor if she is really sick or the school requires a phyiscal. Without being rude can anyone give me facts or reasons y I should take her yearly? She is up to date on shots. She only sees her doctor for sickness about every 18 months. She is healthy.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Probably so that there is a regular chart of her growth and behavoir? I don't know-I don't take my kids every year-is someone telling you that you have to?
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't take my kids every year either. Only when we need to go for whatever reason.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• When I asked the other day everyone said they do take themselves and the kids annually. I was just wondering if they had a reason besides peace of mind.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I try to take my girls at least once a year for a general physical once they have had their infant immunizations.
    This way I can keep track of their height & weight, track their age appropriate developments, ask the physician any questions I may have that I don't normally get to ask, and have the physician examine their overall physical development and prepare me for what to look forward to in the next year.
    I have never taken my daughters to a gynecologist and do not plan to unless they become sexually active or pregnant. My 15 year old freaked out when our physician (a lovely female) went to examine her breasts as part of the physical, but respected her wishes of privacy and taught her instead how to examine them herself in the shower so she wouldn't have to examine them for her. My daughter was so pleased that our doctor was so cool.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Almost forgot, annual exams also do a brief test of the child's sight and hearing, as well as, musculoskeletal development. Public schools do a vision and hearing test and check for scoliosis, but I have a better peace of mind when our physician does it. Also, a blood test is done about every 3-5 years to keep track of diabetes and thyroid issues which run in our families.
    My youngest daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis (by me) when the school nurse missed it. I had her show me how she bent over the day the nurse did the checks and I noticed that her lower back muscles were all bunched up on the left side and her lower spine was bent. Her physician had an x-ray done and since then she's been to orthopaedics and had to wear a brace for 4 years until she developed. The school nurse didn't believe me until I had my daughter bend over for her and showed the nurse what I saw for myself.
    If I had missed it the doc wouldn't have.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2009