Screaming screeching baby....colic..........multiple questions........

Okay, I've been watching a little guy for about 4 months now. (he'll be 6 months old next week) He had severe, severe colic. It was bad. That finally cleared up last month and he's been a much better little guy. (until this week).

First of all, his cry is almost unbearable. I've NEVER heard a baby cry like this. He shrieks. It's a head-splitting sound. Now that the colic is gone he is consolable most of the time, but he still screams like someone is killing him. And he doesn't work up to it, it's like 0- 60 in 2 seconds with this kid. You'd swear he'd been crying for hours when it's only been 30 seconds. Is this because of the colic in the beginning or is it just this kid?

2nd, even though his colic is better he will not entertain himself at all. I get maybe 2 minutes where he will play with something and then he's screaming again. I love the little guy, but he's driving me crazy!

(cont...)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• (OP cont.....)

I just don't know what to do with him. Everyone who knows my DS calls him the golden child. He was the perfect happy baby. No fussing, no teething trouble, he would entertain himself for forever. Especially at 6 months and on.

I'm thinking my little guy I babysit is just completely used to being held because of the colic? Am I wrong to let him scream or do I hold him absolutely all day, get nothing done, and ignore my own son needing cuddles?

Mainly I needed to vent, but I could use some advice or at least understanding from some fellow moms/babysitters. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• you let him cry for 30 mins alone in a room if he contiues to cry then you go in and clam him down. i read this in american parent magazine i got last month. also try laying him on his back and make a v like pattern on his belly. you can still try swaddling him and hold him in your arms and bouce with him. my son has been cryn all night long he is 2 weeks old and when i mock him how hes crying going wahh wahh wahh he stops idk why i guess he just likes the vibration and the sound of my voice when i cry like him.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 1:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• try gripe water. This helps with teething which he might ber doing at this age, helps with tummy aches and colic. Its not cheap but its SOOOO worth it! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• OP AGAIN.....

He could be teething. Again...my own son never went thru the fussy teething. We'd just see a new tooth in his mouth. So I have no idea how a "normal" child teeths.

If this little guy is teething, would he be fussy all the time or just when not being held? My main problem is if I put him down he's screaming. It doesn't matter if I held him for an hour and then put him down to go to the bathroom for a minute or two, he starts shrieking. Sometimes I can get him in the exersaucer for about 5 minutes, but that's it. My son used to play in it for 30 minutes without a peep.

I know all kids are different, but this is extreme behavior in my opinion. I've been around tons of babies and he is the only one I've ever seen like this. His parents are first time parents and I don't know if they think it's normal or if they even understand how fussy he really is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Are you sure it's colic? I say that b/c I'm almost positive my DD had it, but they say it peaks at around 6-8 wks and is usually gone by 3-4 mos. Have the parents checked him for anything? Could he be hungry? I've realized (finally, ok, I'm a first time mom) that my DD screams bloody murder when she's really hungry. Lately the breast milk has not been enough so we've resorted to giving her formula on top of breast milk. She seriously screams like she's dying when she's hungry. Are you sure he's getting enough to eat? I say let him cry a little. At 6 mos. he should be able to play some on his own. I say let him fuss a little before picking him up.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't think it's very helpful to compare him to other babies. So he's extremely fussy, well, some babies are just like that. It's not the parents fault. Have they asked their Doctor? My ped. insists that fussy babies are more 'alert' and 'intelligent.'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son when he was cutting his bottom tooth would cry for the most part of the day even with the gripe water, teething tablet and tylenol. He just wanted to be held and soothed. It was hard but didn't happen every day but it happened quite a bit for a about 2 weeks straight. I was going crazy I thought. Its hard to know whats going on for sure. You might talk to the parents about it to see what they think could be going on. Could be a bit of stranger anxiety. My son, although he knows my neighbors very well cried so hard when he was picked up by them out of no where and he began to search for me. Just some ideas but best bet is to talk to the parents
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• OP here- No, he's no longer colicky. You could tell he was in pain before and he would scream for an hour or even 2 without stopping. ( Even if being held and trying everything possible to stop him) - parent's experienced this too. It was so sad. He doesn't do that anymore. Now, if you pick him up he'll stop, but the result is him being held almost constantly now. He's definitely not hungry. He eats very well and lets me know when he's full.

I know it's not the parents fault he's fussy. I never said it was. They are awesome people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2009