ok gotta know who else its happened to....

so i just moved, hubby is deployed have a 2 mo old and a 3 1/2 yr old. well the little boy next door cuts grass so he was coming over to cut the grass and i was going to open my gate and pull the lawnmower out for him right? well i go out, close the door and hear victoria screaming mommy help. so i get to the door, she's screaming help b/c she locked it. went to the back, thats locked (at my old house i would unlock one door, here i normally don't go out the front unless i leave the door open but my screen door just lost a pane so i have to close the door to keep out bugs) anyways, tried to talk her through opening the front door through the door w/people looking at me like i'm some idiot single mom (in no way do i think single moms are idiots but i know thats what they are thinking if they haven't met me yet..) who can't handle her kids, offers to help, nope, stares yes. finally talked her through opening the sliding CONT

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 1:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My husband is deployed as well. I have a 4yo, 3yo, and 10 mo. They lock themselves in the bathroom CONSTANTLY! It drives me crazy. They know how to unlock it but they freak out so they don't think straight and its confusing to them. Your not the only one!. Hang in there :)
    MrsFlorzak

Answer by MrsFlorzak at 11:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• glass door b/c i could point at what she needed to do and show her with my hands how to do it. but was seriously on the verge of calling the police. i was afraid the baby would wake up crying and she wouldn't be able to handle it and try to get him to stop. she would never intentionally hurt him, but if she couldn't get him to stop by talking or singing to him, she'd try to pick him up or god forbid hit him or something. so needless to say, i just got back from the hardware store up the street to get a spare key made and it is now hidden outside. and i'll be taking my keys out with me and the little remote for the security system b/c it has a panic button that will contact the police if i can't do it myself. so ya long,sorry but was curious who else has been locked out by their kids, and if so were they able to unlock the door or did you end up having to call someone
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Boy... she sure is smart.... (hope she doen't ever do it for anyone else) you could get one of the "Hide a Key Rocks" put it in your back yard that would open a side door or garage door then have another key stashed that would go to the house door.... you can have one lock changed to take your master house key and this hiden key would only fit the one door you have set up to take two keys... I have this setup so I will not have your issue... it might help.... have a great day....
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 1:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• aw you poor thing! how stressful! I have twins who are three and when they were about 2and half my one daughter locked the other one in the bathroom, it took me almost 30 minutes to pick the lock i was so upset. Mind you my husband was away training so I couldn't call him and be like hey huny what else can i use to pick this lock. needless to say when my husband got back a couple months later we switched out the door handles. not quite as mortifying as your story but it was definitely a stressful time. I'm very thankful they've never locked me out of the house :)
    marinewifey25

Answer by marinewifey25 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think the whole ignorant single mom thing could have been left out..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• anon, considering the fact that i've overheard these same neighbors saying this about me, no i didn't think it could. i know plenty of single mothers so in no way was that my opinion about single moms. there are ignorant married moms, divorced moms, single moms, engaged moms, and i'm perfectly aware of that. hence me saying that it was not directed at anyone but that i knew that is what those neighbors were thinking.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think that happens to most moms eventually. My kids have done that a couple of times. Last time my oldest did it on purpose because she was mad at me.
    And one time, a week after we had moved to PA, we were out in our yard and my son (then 3 1/2) came out after me and closed the door behind him. Problem was we had the kind of lock that was always engaged so the door locked and my keys and phone were inside. It was about 8pm and were stuck outside waiting for my husband to get home at 11pm. Luckily a neighbor across the street saw us and invited us to sit on her porch and wait. She brought drinks and snacks for the kids...there are still good people in this world.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• you could have just stated that they thought you were a single mom.. the idiot part really did not have to be said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• anon --- as a single mom -- get over it. It's still part of the story b/c the NEIGHBORS have said "ignorant single mom" and she already had explained in her ORG. post that she did not feel that way but if you've been there with the judging idiots you know what she means.

OMG, momma -- that's a story for the baby books. Our house is a duplex and my aunt lives in the back so I'm lucky. But.... i was just telling the story yesterday of how my DOG locked my car with my keys and all the babies stuff inside when we were moving (me, child, and dog) from NY. THis was in October (chilly to say the least) at some motel in the middle of the night. And it was one of those motels where all the room are INSIDe ... me, crying baby, no diapers/formula dog in the car waiting for the locksmith...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• as a single mom i take MUCH offense to that comment, yes, they could have thought you were an idiot or a single mom but it is very offesive, regardless of how many single moms you know, maybe you need to be one to understnad how offensive it is.

having said that, yes, this has happened to me. i was staying at my brother's house and i took 1 step into to garage to get a vacuum cleaner and the door shut behind me.... i wasn't dressed i had had been doing a thorough cleaning of his house and had really been on my hands and knees, all sweat, dirty and not from there... i tried to talk my daugther through it, finally i went aroudn the back where I could see her through a glass door, she just couldn't do it... so i tore the plastic off a window (he had built a new room onto his hosue) and climbed through..... i knew he would be upset about that so i ddint' try that first but you have to do what you have to do.... and so i did!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2009