What do you think of this quote?

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important then his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

-John Stuart Mill

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I, personally, love this quote. It couldn't have been said any better.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think it is very true. War is ugly. The world without people to fight for what is right is uglier.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Agree completely. We have too many people not willing to fight or support the fight today.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with it. Some of the most ugly people I have met are anti war. Their hatred for our troops is disgusting. One is my neighbor she took my flag in honor of my brother who died in Iraq off my vehicle and later laughed about it. She said why should she feel bad for a baby killer. My brother was a mechanic and had not killed anyone he was there making sure our troops had running vehicles he was killed on his way out of the base to come home. Roadside bomb killed him.

His funeral was picketed not by Phelps but by Democrats who hate our troops. They spit on his hearsh as it came into the cemetary. It was very sad to see and was the ugliest things about this war.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Agree good quote
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Sorry about your brother anon God rest his soul
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• wow anon, that is very sick. Sorry about your loss.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Wow. I'm sorry about your brother.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Anon, I am grateful for the service of your brother and I am saddened that he had to make the ultimate sacrifice. It was a sacrifice made to provide the very freedom your neighbor stomped upon.

I love the quote! My Granddaddy always said,"Wagonwheel (all the grandchildren had pet names and my family's ended in "wheel") if you don't stand up for yourself no one else will." He also to be very careful of those that would do everything for you because it may be that they really want to do nothing for you. He was adamantly against public assistance and similar social programs.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• First, Anon: I am so, so sorry about your brother. My dad was over in Iraq and he barely made it home...their plane was being shot at as they were leaving but they had a very skilled pilot who got them out with only minimal damage to the aircraft...he was also involved in 2 IED explosions that were luckily planted by an idiot, so they were in too deep to kill anyone, but my dad still has the 2 rocks that embedded in the glass right at his eye level...I guess they're his reminder that he made it out. God Bless your brother for his service and your family for what you've had to endure.

As for the quote, how wonderfully said!  I hate war. I hope that after this one is over, I don't have to see another one in my lifetime, but there are far, far uglier things we could see, and have, than this.

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2009