What would you do if you thought a neighborhood kid was trying to steal your dog?

This little girl is always coming to my yard fiddling with my gate. When I go out she claims she is looking for her dog. I would really like to know how her dog would even be able to get in my yard since I have a small rat terrier puppy and he can't get out of my yard. I know my dog doesn't look anything like the dog she supposedly has since she claims hers is black and white and my dog is a blue tuxedo color. I don't know how to handle this kid and I'm afraid I'm going to lose my dog if she doesn't quit fiddling with my gate. Any suggestions.

Janiesgot3sons

Asked by Janiesgot3sons at 1:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would put a lock on the gate, she should not be in your yard for many reasons including safety, then take a few pics of your dog... you could even talk to the girls mom and ask her what their missing dog looks like... that you want to help keep an eye out for it... you will find out first if they do have a dog and you would have the chance to let the mom know her child is messing with your gate... good luck
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 1:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• How old is she? And where are her parents?
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• There's been someone messing with my dogs too. Not trying to steal them, but letting them go and semi-torturing them. I have made police reports and have a spotlight out there now. I think if i were you, i'd get a lock on that gate! And maybe try talking to her parents?
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• just put ur dog inside, who knows maybe her parents know she is doing this
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• supervise your dog when it's outside and get a lock for your fence(maybe a bike lock)
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would have a lock on the gate. Not much else you can do short of keeping him on a leash and by yourside. I'm torn between letting the child play with him and keeping him away. It may satisify her to get to spend some time with the animal, or it may just make her want it more. Do you know her parents? Maybe they can provide some insight. Is your dog tagged or unique in anyway? Keep a picture so if your dog does go missing you can check her house and see and have proof it's your dog by the unique feature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Agreed....if possible, put a lock on the gate to protect your dog....as well as yourself from possible difficulties secondary to bites if she does get the gate open and startles the dog. If you know which home she is in, I would speak with her parents and offer to help look for the dog as suggested previously as well. This way they know that she is fiddling with your gate, as well as knowing that you are glad to keep your eyes out for their dog.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 1:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would talk with the her parents and secure the gate to prevent possible problems if she gets into your yard.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2009