Baby powder?

I posted the other night about my son having a diaper rash possibly and that I am putting butt paste on it and I also use desitin. I have been putting baby powder on too to help absorb more. Some one posted anon on my question and said I shouldn't really be using the powder, why not? Just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard baby powder can get inhaled and cause some kind of problem. I always used baby powder, I loved it! It kept my dd drier and I prevented diaper rashes at night using that stuff!!! She never had a problem with it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Because the powder particules can get in his lungs and cause breathing problem or settle there and cause an infection. That is why most dont recommend baby powder anymore.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• it's not good it can get into their lungs and cause irritation... you shouldn't use butt paste either or any diaper cream with the ingredient perivian in it... wait I don't know how to spell it but the p-word ingredient has been linked to kindey problems (even cancer) I would go tell you the ingredient, I have a tube of it that I stopped using up in my daughter's nursery, but she's sleeping up there and I don't wanna wake her seaching for it.... if you want to see just what's in the products you're using and what's not that good for you... go to skindeep.com and type in any product... I try not to use anything that has over a 2 as the hazardus score
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 1:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Try Dr. Smith's Diaper Ointment. You can get it at Walgreens. It's cleared up some pretty scary diaper rashes on my daughter.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• yep baby powder is bad for their lungs. If you want to use powder you should at least use a cornstarch based one. With my child I discovered they were getting a rash from the petroleum in the cream. For my oldest son I used Weleda diaper cream, my 2nd son used straight coconut oil, and 3rd child now uses Bert's Bees diaper cream (and sometimes coconut oil w/ tea tree oil melted in it)
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• you can also use the kind you have, just shake it away from your baby and put it on your hand and apply it that way. my mom used powder for both my sister and i and we are fine :) You just might want to be a little careful with it..
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009