Are swollen lymph nodes obvious?

I am trying to figure out if I have swollen lymph nodes under my jawline and in my neck. How can you tell? What do they feel like?

I am having a biopsy tomorrow of a nodule on my thyroid and I know having swollen lymph nodes increases the probability it's cancer. But if I have to study, stare, and feel my face over & over again it seems they must not be swollen, wouldn't you think? I am making myself crazy.

Obviously I know the test result will give me my answer so I need to just give this a rest. i was just curious if swollen lymph nodes are obvious. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Health

• Typically, if mine are swollen, they hurt like the dickens! Sometimes they are obvious if I'm REALLY SICK. Other times I've had to touch my neck and realize that they hurt and then feel them and notice they are swollen then. Usually you can feel if they are swollen. You'll always feel a "ball like" organ on both sides of your jaw though, so if you haven't felt the difference between swollen and not swollen then don't worry if you feel something there.

Not sure if I"m being much help. I would think they would hurt though definitely, so if they aren't hurting, I wouldn't think they are swollen.

Good luck with everything!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2009