How can I get my 5 month old to sleep without 2 am feedings?

She goes to bed at about 11, and wakes up at 2 almost on the dot. Then, she will sometimes wake again at 3 or 3:30. Then at 6, 7, and 8. By now I am just so exhausted that I bring her in bed with us. When I do that she will sleep until noon! I know bringing her to bed with us is a problem, but I just can't stay in her room all night!

She normally goes to sleep on her own well when we first put her down at 11. Thats part of the reason I am not convinced she just wants to be in bed with her dad and me. But for some reason during the night she just won't sleep all the way through. She is a BIG baby too, 5 months old and about 21 pounds. Could this be why she is waking up for feedings?

oldsoulmom

Asked by oldsoulmom at 1:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop bringing her to bed with you unless you want to continue that.. That is a hard habit to break once it's started. As for the 2am feedings, she is only 5 months old many babies still wake up in the middle of the night to feed. You will just have to continue doing it until she grows out of it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with your conclusion...if she knows momma will feed her and she is used to that then yep, she will wake up. Her bedtime is 11PM? Why so late for a 5 month old?

Don't bring her to bed with you since you know that will only cause problems later. When my son wouldn't stay asleep through the night I fed him a big dinner of rice cereal or boxed mashed potatoes, warm bath and rub down with lavender lotion. Slept through the night.

Is she getting a heavy dinner prior to bed? A warm bath might help. You may also want to move her nap to earlier in the morning and have her up longer during the day so she will go to bed at a reasonable time.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• She's probably waking out of habit. My 5 mos. old was doing that up until about two weeks ago. She'd sleep great from 7-11 and then wake to eat. Then she'd wake up starting at 1:ooam, 3:00am, 4:00am, you get the picture. My Ped. confirmed that she did not need to eat this much, so we started letting her CIO. I would not feed her until it had been at least 5 hrs. If she woke before that, we'd take turns going in to pat her back to sleep. We had a few bad nights where she cried or whimpered for an hour, then would go back to sleep. We'd keep going in to comfort her every 10 or 20 mins. It worked b/c now she can go a good 5-8 hrs! Like you, I never thought it I'd get any sleep and I work full-time so I just couldn't have her getting up that much. It also helped that I've started bf'ing her and giving her some formula before bed.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Oh, and my DD has slept in her own crib since 8 wks. so I don't know how co-sleeping is affecting her, but I think she would probably wake up that much even if you didn't bring her in bed with you.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• She could be overtired. 11 is pretty late for a 5 mos. old. Mine goes to sleep at 7 or 8 (8 at the latest).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son went to bed at the same time at that age and even weighed that much too. Try feeding her cereal and a jar food plus a bottle before bed. My son finally slept through the night when I made sure he was full. They will let you know if they don't want anymore. It will get better just be persistant. If she takes a binky try give that to her instead of a bottle. Rub her back til she settles down. If that doesnt work try holding her til she calms down and lay her down. You might change her diaper too. Just continue that for 5 min or so if she doesn't seem to calm down then feed her. She prob is waking out of habit now too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• read this journal it's an article from Mothering Mag. http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/91515/Baby_Toddler_Sleep_issues
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009