Car seat: Your opinion?

Which scenario do you think would be safer:

A) A three year old (of correct wight/height requirements for the seat) in a 5 point forward-facing booster seat in the backseat... buckled correctly in the 5 point harness, but without the seat belt being fastened through the back of the car seat because it is broken and will not fasten.

B) A three year old correctly buckled in the same car seat in every way except that the car seat is in the front passenger seat, with an air-bag that could not be turned off.

Remember when answering that these are the ONLY choices, I know they are both BAD choices, but pretend there are no other options.

I am trying to settle an argument :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't have the latch system? OOOH, hard one. Take the car to the dealer and have them remove the airbag, then put the child up front.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Not an option. Gotta pick one of the two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Then I wouldn't put the child in that car.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I am aware that these are not good choices, the point is if you HAD to pick one, which would you pick??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I say option B, at least the child is fastened to the car, and it being that age it is not a rearfacing carseat and you can push the seat all the way back to get it further away from the airbag.

The other option the child would be thrown all around, to me that one is more dangerous.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• the back seat, my car has the teather straps, and i would use those, right now i use the seatbelt and the teather straps, my dd is ff, and has a five point harness...but i think the teather straps would hold the car seat in there, when i put my dds in before i buckled the seat belt i pulled and pulled with all my weight i was literally hanging on her carseat and it wasnt moving
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Sorry, OP, but those are never the only two choices, so I refuse to pick one. Have fun though.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• OP here... actually, those WERE the only two choices, unless walking pregnant 30+ miles with no food or water, no money, with an 18 month old and a three year old seems like a better option to you...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• b
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If it was a one time thing, I could see it being the only options. If on the other hand this is where you live with this car, then I'm sorry but I see a few other options.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009