I had a miscarriage and my son didnt make it

I had a miscarriage and my son didnt make and I was wondering why did they give me a social sercurity card for him but I dont have a birth certificate. I am confused on what the purpose of his social sercurity card is?

Motheroftwo2002

Asked by Motheroftwo2002 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• not sure, I have not heard of that... my thoughts are with you...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 2:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I haven't heard of that either. Sorry for your loss.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 2:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• hmmm.... not sure. I guess if he was stillborn then there wouldn't be a certificate of live birth, the SSC beats me though.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• was he a stillborn or did you go into preterm labor? i could understand why they did it if he was alive when he was born but passed soon after
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• if he was born alive they should have giving you one, if he wasnt born alive then they would give u a death certificate only. but they always give ss cards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Maybe just an error. call them to find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• That is strange I lost my baby girl and I only have a DC. I so sorry for your loss. It has been 8 years since I lost my DD and its something I will never forget. God bless

Anonymous

• I am so very sorry for your loss. As to the ss card-- I would call them and inquire about it. Maybe it was a mixup of some sort?
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Was he born alive? If he was you will get a SS card, a birth and death certificate. You may have to go to the vital records department to get the birth and death certificates. You will be able to claim him on your taxes next year using the SS number.

My daughter was stillborn in 2002. I got a certificate of stillbirth and thats it. She did not take a breath, and therefore, she wasn't legally alive. I did not get a SS card for her.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I've heard of them giving birth certificates when a baby is still born but never a SSC ..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009