bad dog or bad dog owner

soo i'm completely addicted to those animal police shows haha
with that being said. its really sad to me thatsome people have ruined dogs to the extent that certain breeds are being put down just for being that type of dog. i mean you can take a yorkie and make it a bad dog. just wanted to get that off my chest, whats your opinion on that?

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pets

• While the breed itself may have nothing to do with whether a dog is vicious or not, the breeding sometimes does. Unfortunately dogs are a mixture of nurture vs nature. There are no magical lines in the sand that can compete with mother nature. In other words, high drive aggressive dogs bred together will produce some less than desirable side effects in their offspring. It is not always the dog owner that is 100% accountable.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 3:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The owners are bad, not the dog.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• We had a rottweiler, she was a good dog. Not a mean bone in her body. It's the owner of these dog I think that make a bread bad. Not the bread.

Answer by louise2 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Large breeds bite less than smaller breeds but the problem is if a small breed bites the owners think its cute or they dont do any damage that requires a Dr visit. Large breeds just cause damage once they bite someone. I think it is very unfair, we had a rottie for 7 years and she was great, never aggressive, no biting etc,she was the moma to the kids if they were outside playing, my youngest slept on her, teethed on her etc.. but she had a bad rap just because of her breed. When she died my mom said it felt like one of her grandchildren passed away, that is how much of a big part of our lives that dog was to her and us.
    BUT YEAH, ITS BAD OWNERS...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• OMG .. the breed of dog has NOTHING to do with it being bad or good. I tell people all the time it depends on how the dog was raised. It's bad dog owners DEFINITELY. My daughter's nanny flipped out when she heard my brother wanted to get a pit bull. She said pit bull's cannot be allowed around babies and she wanted me to get rid of my cats because they were not allowed around babies. I told her that pit bulls are a breed of dog. ANY dog can be mean and aggressive. I told her my 80lb mixed breed dog could be agressive if he WANTED to. All dogs have the ability to be agressive. I work at a grooming salon and I am more scared of LITTLE dogs than I am of the big one's. I watch Animal Cops all the time and it just infuriates me some of the ignorance that I see when it comes to animals.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 2:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I totally agree with midnightmomma. But unfort. these big dogs with bad raps are also innerbreeding and such by crudy pet owners that think anyone should breed a dog or breed them knowing it's showing signs of aggression.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The dog owner is 100% to blame. IF they knowingly breed two aggressive dogs, then they are to blame. A good dog owner and breeder knows what are good dogs to breed and what dogs should not be bred. So I do not agree with equusvetgal. Aggressive dogs should not be bred together and if they are it is the owner/breeders fault for the outcome.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• NOLAmommaKRYS You are using the words breeder and owner interchangably. Many dog owners are NOT the breeders of their pets and have no way of knowing anything about his/her pet's parentage or background. Please haul it in a little there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• its the owner not the dog thats for sure.
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 8:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Anon :49, Owners hold the responsibility of researching the breeder and meeting the parents to see their temperaments BEFORE they purchase the dog. That is part of being a good owner, knowing what to look for in a pup and in the pup's parents.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009