My bf flipped out on me b/c I told him to stop using the bathroom infront of my daughter!!

The nerve he has to cuss me out because of this? Heres, the deal-- when my bf comes home from work, the first thing he always does is go to the bathroom to do #2... (tmi).. but yesterday he left the bathroom door open & my 1 yr old daughter followed him in there. I went to find her & found her in the bathroom with her daddy. I didn't get mad or anything I just told him that if she's gonna be in the restroom with him while he's using the bathroom then he needs to make sure she doesnt see his "thing"......
Then he starts going off on me about how "im the stupid one" to even think of something like that & "im a dumb ass who would probably do something that stupid" but I am a female & im her mother, it's not that big a deal for me to be naked in front of my baby BUT he is a MAN & its just not right! Am i right? The fact he went off on me just pissed me off so bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Personally I think going to the bathroom should be a private thing and the door should be shut and he was wrong to over react with you like that.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• no, a child should not see the fathers penis. especially a girl.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• At that age I don't think it's a big deal at all, personally. I don't make a big deal of it if one of my boys opens the door while I am changing and they are 2 and 5. I don't want them to be embarrassed or ashamed of things like that. I stress to them that we need privacy at certain times but it's not a big deal when they are that young. He probably flipped out because he feels pretty much the same way and you made him feel like you thought he was doing something inappropriate, and it made him angry that you would hint at something like that about him and his own daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I'm with admckenzie on this one. Some people are comfortable going to the bathroom with an audience and I'm sure you will get responses from people asking you what the big deal is. But I don't like going to the bathroom with ANYONE in there, boy or girl. I'll change in front of my kids. I don't think he should have spoke to you that way though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• To me it's not about the private areas but about privacy in general. We allowed our children to come in and out as needed, but now its an issue, b/c they don't understand that we want privacy and they are old enough to wait a couple minutes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• This shouldn't even be a question. This is very simple. This peson should not be around your daughter without you being within feet of them. This is not someone who cares about the prorities and appropriatness of raising kids. This person shouldn't even be living under the same roof. AND, to curse you out for your parental right to feel this is not appropriate tells you there is also NO respect for you. Get rid of this looser this sort of thing is just "trash" and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near your daughter. Remember, she is FIRST! You are second and everything else comes somewhwere after.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• omg shes one yr she aint gonna remember and what are you gonna keep that from her forever??????? so i guess when shes older ur not gunna have the sex talk with her either??? its ok for her to know that mommie and daddie are different down there my son is always by my side even in the bathroom i see nothing wrong with it PEOPLE PLEASE!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't think it's that big of a deal. I agree with anon 59, everyone is being over dramatic as usual on here. I have to take my almost one year old to the bathroom with me because if I leave her out free in the house God knows what will happen. I think you are overreacting and it's really not that big of a deal because she is really young.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• She's a year old?

Personally, it's not a big deal to us. My husband even showered with our daughter until she started asking what "that" was... She was 3ish when that happened. Now he just wears shorts if he's in the shower with her.

Our 4 year old girl and 2 year old boy take baths together. The 4 year old knows that boys are different and we don't act like it's a big deal.

However, it was completely inappropriate for him to speak to you like that.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If she's one, she's oblivious. I agree that he probably yelled at you, although it was wrong, because he felt that you implied he was being inappropriate. I also took my LO's to the bathroom with me because I wanted to make sure they were safe. It doesn't matter if she sees "it", it might as well be another "ear" for all she knows. It will be another year or two before she will notice the differences in girls and boys. Also, if you over-react, she may feel uncomfortable with her OWN body later. It's not a big deal at this age.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009