my 4.5 month old has a fever, should I go to the ER?

He has had a cold for a few days, but just woke up with a fever last night of 101! We dont have insurance, so its the ER or nothing, and that takes sooo long, he will be miserable there! I gave him Tyelenol and that brought it down, should I still go or can I treat him at home?

Arion

Asked by Arion at 9:29 AM on Aug. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the tylenol is working then I would probably not take him. That is all they will probably tell you to do anyway considering he has a cold. My son's ped always told me to treat with tylenol every 4 hours and use luke warm (slight warmer than room temp water) to bring them down, but if it doesn't subside in 72 hours to take him to a dr as it might be sign of an infection. Good luck to you!
    marie311

Answer by marie311 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 23, 2008

• Do you have a doctor's office that you take him to for well baby visits you can call? Most states offer free insurance for infants, it is really important to have a doctor for your child.

Your baby is kind of in a transition age. Babies 3 months and under with any fever should be taken to the ER immediately because they might have a serious infection and can not fight it off. But after 4 months they start being able to fight things off a little better and like you mentioned he probably just has a cold. How much did the medicine bring his temperature down? Was the 101 a rectal temperature? But because he still is so young I would definitely contact a doctor because you just never know and it is better to be safe! http://www.babycenter.com/0_fever_84.bc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 23, 2008

• if it goes pass 103, then i would
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2008

• tylenol just masks the problem if there is a real one. I would call the dr. or the emergency room just to get their advice. normally with babies - anyt hing over 101 should send you calling the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Aug. 23, 2008

• I wouldn't take him unless the fever spikes much higher or he develops other symptoms that could mean he needs antibotics. He may just be teething! My oldest dd would get a 100 101 temp when teething.
    Dodgermommy

Answer by Dodgermommy at 11:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2008

• I wouldn't take him, unless his fever gets much, much higher or he becomes dehydrated. If he has a cold there isn't really anything they will do for him anyway.
    mommabh3

Answer by mommabh3 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 23, 2008

• This is a good link on what do when your baby has a fever. http://www.babycenter.com/0_fever_84.bc?page=1&articleId=84

But your baby should really have his own doctor. He needs his check ups and vaccinations. Most states do offer free insurance for children. I would really look into that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2008

• Are you taking rectal temperature? You should actually subtract 1 degree from the reading for a rectal temperature - it tends to read a little high. If the fever persists with Tylenol, then you should call a doctor. The ER is a terrible place for an infant since he could be exposed to other diseases while there. You NEED a regular pediatrician!!! Some are willing to work out payment plans because they know how important infant care is. Look into financial assistance for child health care - most states have a program.
    Kellygrrl

Answer by Kellygrrl at 7:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2008