When should women be awared alimony?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• When she gets divorced? I think a the soon to be ex husband should give his ex wife alimony if he makes more than $20,000 MORE than her and vice versa of course.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think that if he has been paying to support her. Then she should get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If he did something wrong in the marriage to make her leave, if he left her without cause. If he is her sole provider (i.e. if she was a sahm for years and has no job). Or if he was the one who made a whole bunch more money than her. Basically, she has to be blameless and helpless without his assistance.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Eh, depending on the situation and how much the man makes, how long they have been together, kids, etc... and it should always be temporary, IMO. Men get so screwed, a marriage fails because of 2 people...why should he have to pay the rest of his life so she can continue to sit on her ass? If he totally effed her and she put him through school and raised kids, etc., I can see giving it to her for say 3 years to give her time to get on her feet, but this lifetime alimony crap is absurd, IMO.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't think alimoney should be awarded to a spouse who is capable of making it on their own. If a woman has become dependent on her spouse because she was a SAHM, I think there is an oral contract issue here, so he should provide for her so she can survive until the kids are school age and she is able to find work. I don't think alimony should be permanent. The spouse receiving it should work to get off it. The paying spouse should not be penalized for the receiving spouse not trying to find work. What about the divorces that are caused by one spouse refusing to find work and being a bum? Should the hard worker have to support the lazy ass even in divorce?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

anon with this answer you should not be hiding because it is the best answer to this question. it takes two to make a marriage and two to break a marriage. no one should get benefits for getting a divorce.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If one stays at home and works with out pay they should get alimony because they sacrificed no pay for the sake of the family. That spouse shouldn't be able to just walk away from his/her responsibility. They agreed to that lifestyle and it should be kept until that person can get back on their feet. It shouldn't be dumped on the taxpayers. People need to be considerate of the person they vowed to love forever. They broke their promise and the least they can do it see to it that the person who made nothing has a chance to get in a position were they will be able to take care them self and the family.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I know laws differ state to state but From what I understand is... If a women marries and puts off having a career to care for her family she will be awarded alimony. Now I don't know the specifics like if she totally put of going to college to have a family or if she can also have a college degree but not get a job etc etc. If you are wondering for your own personal reasons I would look into your state laws on alimony.

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• What Anon :58 said!!!!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• sure, anon, SAHMs are just lazy asses, not hard workers, right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2009