Is this even legal?

I was going to move in a new apartment for the baby and payed the landlord $750.00 for the deposit and 5 days later i changed my mind and asked for my money back and he claims the contract said I had 2 days to ask for it back, so I told my mom and she argued with him and he said he will give me my money this Monday or the latest Tuesday, so now today is Tuesday and he claims that he doesn't have the money and he will pay me the money when somebody else rents the apartment. Is this even Legal ?

katsogrimey

Asked by katsogrimey at 3:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would say not...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 3:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• call the police
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If the contract says you had two days to change your mind and he agreed to give you the money ANYWAY....yes, it's legal. He doesn't have to give it back to you at all in the first place, so I suggest you walk a very fine line between being patient and being a bug to get your money.

If it wasn't in the contract that you had two days, then he can go by whatever it did say in the contract. That contract is the legal document that will either protect you or him....I suggest you read it.

If there is nothing in the contract about returning a deposit, then it's a verbal agreement that he would return the money. Good luck in court.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If its in the contract that you have 2 days to ask for it back then it is. I would make sure to read the whole contract first. If you didnt get a copy go to the nearest District Justice and tell them what happened or ask the an attorney
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 3:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I didn't recieve a copy and that day i signed it he said I had 15 days to get the money back if something happened
    katsogrimey

Answer by katsogrimey at 3:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Read your contract. It sounds fishy to me when he says initially that he doesn't have to return the money after the grace period but when you persist he agrees to return the money later? Something is off. It can't be both. It is either one way or the other.

In answer to your question no it doesn't soound legal but since he has the money and you don't then you're the one who has to fight.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yes look at the contract if that's what it says he can do it. If it doesn't take him to small claims court.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If you didnt recieve a contract then you should call the cops. EVERY place that I have rented where we had a lease the landlord gave me the lease in advance to read over before he made me pay/sign anything. Might be a good idea for next time :)
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009