What happens after an unassisted home birth?

I was watching a show and it was about home births. just curious but what happens after? do they go to the hospital? if not how do they do the birth certificate? its not illegal in any state or so i have read. any info would help get it off my mind lol. i tried googleing it but got no where. and also what would happen if someone wanted a home birth, never went to the dr and during labor decided to go to the hospital due to fear, complications, or anything else? i'm so interested in all this. it sounds so scary!

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 3:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That's why women are encouraged to stay in touch with a doctor or a midwife that works with a doctor. Anything can go wrong during a delivery. There are plenty of women that will say everything turned out fine for them and that's great but for the women where things aren't fine, they are in distress or their babies are then you need to be where doctors and nurses can assist.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• whats creepy is that all the home births i see on tv that aren't assisted, the baby always comes out with the cord around its neck.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i saw one of those shows and this lady wanted an unassisted home birth cause she said it was safer. Then she ended up having 2 breech twins, not even knowing she was pregnant with twins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• 1/4 of ALL births have the cord wrapped around the neck or body or both. This is normal. A wrapped cord can't prolapse! And babies DO NOT BREATH so unless the cord is unusually tight -- I mean REALLY tight which is rarely the case -- to cut off the blood supply to the brain it isn't an emergency. The cord is easily unwrapped because it is slippery. Nature designed it that way.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• There are forms to fill out with a home birth to get the birth certificate. Having appointments with a doctor makes it easier but it's not necessary. There's no reason to go to a hospital unless something is wrong. As already discussed, the cord around the neck is normal and NOT an emergency, lol. If a woman never sees a doctor and goes into labor and goes to the hospital they treat her. They can't turn her away, she doesn't HAVE to have a doctor for them to attend her birth. Home births are completely different from hospital births so I'm not really sure how to tell you what happens after because I'm not sure where to start since everything's different from start to end.
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 7:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• After my UC I transferred because there were some large clots after baby, but before placenta. I was freaked out so we called 911. Turned out everything was fine and normal (after researching more later, i just hadn't heard of the huge clots before). When we got to the hospital, the on call OB examined me... The only thing they were surprised about was that she was nearly 10lbs and I had her without pain meds...and with nothing but a slight tear.

Oh and my baby didn't have the cord wrapped around any part of her...
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 8:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• In my state, we just have to fill out forms and get them notarized to get a birth certificate.
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 8:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• check out unassistedbirth.com. There is no reason to go to the hospital unless there is an emergency (cord prolapse, placenta previa, etc). There are forms to fill out to get a BC, though many states make it a PITA, it is possible! Here is a website which lists how to get a BC, by state: http://www.homebirth-usa.org/baby/birth-cert.html. What else do you want to know about unassisted births? I haven't had one but I have researched them thoroughly as I may have my next baby unassisted.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Are you asking about unassisted or midwife attended homebirths? Your midwife usually has the paperwork for birth cert and all that, just like the hospital. If you have an unattended birth, it varies state to state, some you just need "proof" of birth or pregnancy. Some you petition the court for a birth cert. There are many forums dedicated to helping you with "how to's" on paperwork regarding unattended birth.

There is no reason to be scared of homebirth, with or without a midwife. They are not for everyone, but neither are hospital births and interventions. It is just another way to give birth, the way it was intended before all the bells and whistles of today.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 2:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes, I would be surprised if home births on tv are unattended. A midwife normally catches the baby at a home birth. I think any birth without prenatal care is a bad idea. Having prenatal care is what screens you to know if you're okay to have a home birth. Most issues that can affect your baby are discovered early. And I know that many people have horror stories of "near misses" in hospitals, but hospital interventions lead to many problems. Having to lay still for a fifteen minute test strip can stall labor, not having time to get the test strip causes nurses to panic and hold the baby in (that happened to me). The data shows that assisted home births, for an uncomplicated pregnancy, are just as safe if not safer than a hospital birth for an uncomplicated pregnancy.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:17 AM on Aug. 5, 2009