At-home cough remedies for babies?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to help my baby with his cough. It's from a chest cold he got over the weekend. He's BFing and sleeping well. I am monitoring his fever so it doesn't get too high, and when it starts to climb I give him a little tylenol to help out. I don't have a humidifier, and can't afford one, so I used the bathroom as a steam room. Any other ideas? Please and thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is your baby? if he's over 6 months you can try vicks for baby, younger than that call your docs office and see if you can use it. if not they have plug ins that act as a vaporizer, its like a night light, plugs into your wall and the elec acts as a heater to release the vapors, they work well but you have to have baby near it b/c it doesn't fill the whole room. let him sleep elevated (in a bouncy seat, swing or put something under the mattress to raise it slightly). you may also be able to call your doctor and get a prescription over the phone for an infant cough syrup (they do make these however are only available by prescription)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• sounds like you're doing the best you can mama, how old is he?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• baby vicks on the feet works well. prop him up in the crib by rolling a recieving blanket and putting it UNDER the mattress so he sleeps in an inclined position.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• put a wedge or book or something under the matress so his head is a little higher and they can sleep better.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• is he wheezing or sound congested when u put ur ear to his back??
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 3:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Hey, I asked the question. He's almost 9 months old. He does have a slight wheeze when he exhales, but it clears up when he coughs. The cough, by the way is loaded with mucous and I've had to keep helping him out so he doesn't choke. I've used the bulb syringe to try to clear it out some. I just know the best cough syrup for me is vinegar and honey, but he's too young for honey. That's why I asked if anyone else had ideas. Thanks all!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• ok well why dont u TAKE HIM TO THE DOCTOR? maybe he needs to be put on a machine that will help him clear up or it could lead to pneumonia my son had a slight wheeze i took him to the doc she said thank god u brought him in this could get bad if not taken care of......ease the attitude im just trying to help!!!
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 3:56 PM on Aug. 4, 2009