Is it safe for pregnant women to squat?

I was in the yard cleaning out my humming bird feeders. It was more comfortable to squat than bend over. When I stood up both sides of my hips hurt really bad. Though Ive been having a bit of pain in them anyway. Is squatting bad? or the hip pain? Did you get these pains?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 3:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah squats are great for you, just don't cut off your circulation by stayin there too long

gotta move around
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It's fine. the hip pain is because pregnancy hormones soften your bones so they can move when you are pushing out the baby. The pain is normal
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Squatting is fine, in fact it's a great position to give birth in because it spreads the hips widening the birth canal and allows gravity to help out. During pregnancy all your joints loosen up so that probably explains your hip pain. Plus if you were squatting for a while that can contribute to it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Alot of people say that when you squat the cord could wrapped around the babies neck. I never heard of it happening to anyone that I know and Im 5 months pregnant now and squating in the bet feeling right now....if you think that its not ok just ask your doc. They will tell you. Also if its bad for you then why do they tell you to squat when your in labor. It helps ease the pain and soreness....I do it all the time...
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 3:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• lol of course squatting is fine. thts all we could do! lol
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 3:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my midwives recommended it as an exercise to get your leg muscles ready for labor

bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yeah, it's also a great position to be in to give birth. It opens up the pelvis and hips.
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2009