new seamstress in distress, I need some suggestions!

*anon because the mama is on here tee hee hee*
i'm making a cloth book for my "niece" who is having her 1st bday party this saturday! All I have left to do is sew all the pages together and on the cover. This is where the "problem" comes in. I have 5 pages and they are fleece. They are too thick to fit on my sewing machine. So NOW WHAT? I was thinking about sewing on three buttons (like a binder) or sewing 3 buttons on each page, but the thread might not hold very well. I dont have any eyelets or eyelet tool. if you have any suggestions please help! here is a link to my photo album, plase take some time to look and see what i'm working with! it's only 3 photos =)
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/owl_feather/sewing%20projects/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Well I looked at your project, very nice. However, I wouldn't use buttons because of the choking hazard they pose. I would try binding tape on the inside edge of each page, and then sewing the tapes together. Do you know what I mean? Don't fill the binding tape with the page, but just sew it on enough that it attaches to the page and you can sew the "empty" parts together to make the binding. Only thing is that might make your cover too short. Otherwise, I would get go get an upholstery needle and thread and do it by hand. Good Luck.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• thank you very much! yes the choking hazard was another concern...I dont know why I didnt write that in the OP LOL but yes I didnt even think about binding tape...and to think I used to work at an arts and crafts store for 3 years! I will go there tomorrow and look around. what is an upholstery needle...is it just bigger? I do have a yarn needle, is that different?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Upholstery needles are just stronger and they don't dull as fast supposedly, because they are made to go through thicker materials. They usually come in a pack and one will be like a semi-circle. Let me know how it turns out!
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009