Extremely sensitive 9 yr old. HELP?!?

My oldest son was our only until he was 5. He has always been one that when he gets the least bit of pain (a fall on his knee or stubbed toed) he throws his head back, wails loudly and cries forever. Now he's taken to hiding under the bed or in the closet to cry when he's in trouble. He is still extremely dramatic when he gets hurt even though he's over it in a minute. Now he's saying things like "I just feel like the dumbest kid in the world" or saying he wishes he wasn't even alive.

I have NEVER beaten my children, nor has my husband or any family members. I have and would NEVER tell him I didn't want him in my life and I've tried talking to him about what makes him feel this way and trying to correct it. He doesn't focus in school or at home but his docs say he does not have ADD/ADHD or have any problems.

Is there anything at all I can do for him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• try to take him to a psychologist. Maybe its just childhood depression or something like that. My daughter is 8 a cried alot too. I mean she has been through so much in her life not bc of me but her father and they told me that she has depression shes alot better now but try that. Maybe there is something else that the regular docs cant see. Good luck I hope things get better.
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 3:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my daughter is 10 and she doesnt do very good in school and she comes home crying saying that she dumb I cant do anything right and everyone is smarter then me. what we try to do is just remind her that we love her and that every kids is different. if she belives in herself then thats all that should matter to her. we have been doing that for about a year now and it looks like shes doing better in school work but there are the days when she comes home crying about how she was the last one in her class to do class work and that the other kids are smarter but we just go back to telling her that she can do it and we belive in her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• He's held an A-B average all through school. He even calls himself a "math magician" which is hilarious but it's things like when he gets home and tries to do his homework. "I'm the slowest boy ever. It takes me forever." Or "I can't do it right I'm just so stupid."

He does the same thing when asked to clean his room & I come back 10 minutes later and he's staring into space with nothing done. Even things like video games can trigger him. Last night it was bedtime and I'd let him play a game for 15 minutes prior. I told him it was time to turn off the game and he cries and says "I'm never going to get this right, ever. I never get to do it. When I try my brother climbs all over me. I can't get this combo. I can't do anything right."

Some days I don't know what to say. I comfort him the best I can. I am at my wits end. Thanks for all your answers!
    KeishaJL

Answer by KeishaJL at 11:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Sounds to me like he needs to talk with someone. It works it did with my son this past year.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my 15 year old daughter was like around that agethat so i took her to a childrens therapist and they talked every week for a year and her behavior changed extremely!
    mommmyof2soon

Answer by mommmyof2soon at 10:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son is 8 and has been my only child till now. I remarried in Feb so my son how has an older step-sibling and I am expecting a new baby by the end of the year. My son has been very involved in everything I do. Now he is learning there is more to life than mom, which is fine. My DH takes my son and his to do things. When my son is corrected for bad behavior he is the first to run to me and complain, exaggerate and cry for help. I see right through it and advise him that if he acted like that with me then he would have gotten in trouble as well but he cannot behave badly and expect no consequence. I do spank him and still have the same issue you're talking about to an extent. When the constant crying starts I tell him to knock it off. If he is hurt then fine, cry. If he is doing it for attention then it needs to stop. Enough is enough. He knows he gets spankings for acting up.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2009