School supply demands? Are you kidding me?

My son is starting 2nd grade and what an excited little boy he is.

I got the school supply list of which I have most of already. I also got an ammendment to the school supply list for cleaning and teacher supplies. Furthermore it has been requested for me to leave all the supplies at the "Meet the Teacher' meeting on Thursday.

1. I buy supplies for my son since he is the one I support.
2. Teachers should buy their own supplies and not demand the parents to do it.
3. Cleaning supplies for the classroom is also not my responsibility either.
4. I'm not dropping off all of the supplies before school starts only to get an additional list before Christmas telling me you need more supplies.

I feel it is rude for the school to send out lists of what I need to purchase for people who can buy it themselves. I provide for my son and not the rest of the people in the classroom.

Has anyone heard of this?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in

• TEachermom01-
    Of course we all get that but when many of us are struggling with job loss and cutbacks ourselves how are we supposed to feel when it feels (note i said feels not is) like we are being asked to stock the classroom when many us can barely afford to clothe our own children and buy what they need. I get that teachers pay for alot of stuff out of their own pocket but I am sorry I just feel like things like clorox wipes and those things should be provided by the school or the district I cant afford them for my own house how the hell am i supposed to afford them for the school
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• with all the school budget cuts I am not suprised,I look at it this way we are getting free education for our children for the most part I mean yes we pay taxes and all but I feel like it really is the least we can do to make sure our children have everything they need to learn and be ina healthy environment and if that means that I hae to spend and extrea measyl 450 a year in doing so then big deal!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• opps I meant $50 not 450
    Anonymous

• I have heard of classroom supplies such as treats/snacks and kleenex, but not the type you are listing ...and not a time frame as to when they are needed...

Have you contacted the school?
    I would and ask them why they are demanding such supplies and if you do not get an answer then contact the school district.

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Teacher's budgets for classroom supplies are typically less than adequate. It gets worse as budgets get cut. Teachers that do supply their rooms with all they need do so out of their own pockets. These supplies aren't for the teacher's personal use - it's to be used in educating your child in a clean and safe environment.

We typically get wish lists for the classroom and I do what I can to supply those items several times during the year whether their being asked for or not.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:48 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The way I see it is the school isn't my child's sole source of education. The school is *MY* partner in educating my child. IN that vein, I'm going to do whatever it is I can to make sure my partner is well equipped and prepared to do the best job possible or my child. IF that means I'm sending in chalk, erasers, markers and Lysol wipes, so be it.

Yeah, it adds up in cost but frankly, I don't expect my child's teacher to go broke teaching my kid either. I'm also not going to bitch and moan in January when the flu's going around and my kid's classroom has inadequate cleaning supplies due to budget crunches. You better believe I'll be helping stock up on cleaners.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My school taxes are over $4000.00 a year. We donate to the school fundraisers. My Dad and Aunt are teachers so providing on their own is not unheard of. I know the school has custodians and cleaning supplies there on site and classrooms are cleaned each day.

I'm not buying 3-4 cartons of clorox wipes, packages of papertowels, large quantities of cups, plates, cutlery, hand santizers, etc for the classroom. I'm not purchasing the teachers black, red and blue pens, sharpies, dry erase markers, hand sanitizer, kleenex separate from the children's list, paper clips, staples, etc. Not happening.

I have no problem helping out in parties, lunches, functions as a mother. I'm not buying your supplies for your classroom.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• is that a private school? who pays 4000 a year? maybe change schools?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• No, those are for taxes. Our taxes are high since the school district is growing, building new schools, hiring more teachers, etc. It's always some new reason why our taxes increase.

lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Lilbit, are you sure that $4K is ONLY for schools? There's an awful lot of divvying up.

That said...I've always gotten a request list and until last year have ALWAYS contributed. Last year I was underemployed and we couldn't afford it. No one complained.

I don't have a problem with contributing because when you give, you get lots more back.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

Next question in
i dont get it???

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
What is the best?