Used/Abused by family friends

So i meet another mom from school and we hit it off great. Her kids are the same age as mine....and we are the same age too (we're both younger than most moms in the area). We are both stay at home moms so it was convenient to get our pre-schoolers together while the older ones were at school, etc. They are all BFF now. As time wore on I began to feel used by our friendship. I would fork out $ to go out b/c she said she didnt have it...the next day she spends $ on something ridiculous. She would ask for babysitting but never returns the favor even when asked. I even took in her dog!!! But Ive begun to realize that the road btw us doesnt go both ways....and i feel taken advantage of. Like its only convenient to be friends when "she" needs something from me or doesnt have anything better to do. I dont want my feelings to affect our kids friendships.

What should I do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a friend like that. I started making excuses for when she would ask for things, or saying I didn't have the money. She will either get the hint and start doing more or she will lose interest. Honestly, if she loses interest then it sounds like she wasn't very nice to begin with, and you can still have play dates specifically for the kids where you don't have to interact as much with her in particular.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 4:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2009