My kid wont do anything I ask

Hi I have a 6 yr old that will not listen to me it dont matter what I do and my husband wont help me he says i need to be firmer I have tried everything and I get so fustrated and depressed and I just feel like giving up sometimes and I just sit and cry sometimes cause I just wanna give up any suggestions

fairieandtrolls

Asked by fairieandtrolls at 4:01 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't ask him, tell him. And punish him if he doesn't comply. Be consistent, be firm. My kids just started not listening to me in the past couple of years (mostly about housework), but they're teenagers. But they still know they can get away with only so much. Six is way to young for you to be going through that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Be firm and consistent. I just recently started taking away tv time or computer time when my 7 year old won't listen. It works for us. But if you tell them that something will happen or not happen if they don't listen, and then not follow up, then you will get nowhere. And they pick up on that quick. There should be something that works like that for you too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If you're ASKING, he has the option to say no. If you TELL him, then it needs to be done.

Stick his butt in the corner (standing) until he's ready to do as he's TOLD. When he leaves the corner, if he doesn't do what he was told...right back in. It doesn't matter how long he stands there...30 seconds or 30 minutes. And don't you dare do it just to get it done. What ever it is, it stays there until the KID does it.

Shut off the TV then walk away.

Shut down the computer and walk away.

Take away the video game and walk away.

Don't ever let him see you frustrated and crying...he knows he has you.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Don't ask him. Tell him. My grandson is told once and given a consequence like if you do not pick up the cars, I will and I will throw them away. Tell him again. If he doesn't pick up the cars, you do it and throw them away.. I wish I had known more as a mother than I know now. I watch Nanny 911 and I've gained a lot of Knowledge. You may also choose to use time out. Pick a place to use for time out. No Tv can be seen or outside. Tell your child that id he breaks a rule(writing on the wall, stealing candy) he must sit in time out for 5 minutes if he is 5years old, 6 minutes if he is 6 years old. My grandson is eaight and after a warning, I only have to say stairs once and he goes to sit on the stairs. Less yelling. When time out is done. he coms to me and apologizes and I hug him and tell him I love him and it is over. no more mention of the broken rule.
    seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 7:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i know just how you feel!!! my kids are four and six and i can't get thm to listen to me either and i can't even make them stay in time out but i have found that taking away things and cancelling outings like going to the water park or a friends house its hard to be consistent but hang in there, i feel your pain.
    mamamia431

Answer by mamamia431 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Natural and Logical consequences. I love the book Parenting with Love and Logic. LOTS of suggestions in there, and all of them put your child in a position of HAVING to take responsibility for his own decisions.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2009