Is playing Wii games decent exercise for kids?

I was thinking about getting a Wii for my girls ages 3 and 5 so they can get more exercise in the winter. Are there any games apporopriate for this age group? If so, do you think it provides a decent amount of exercise?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 4:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Our Wii fit really works us out, but I don't know how great most of it would be for children that young. The sports games are going to be better exercise than the others, Dora, Sims, etc. You might want to find a friend who has one, and see how they do before making the purchase.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:06 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have a 4yr old and a 9yr old. The older one uses our wii and has a # of games.....some more physical than others. But it is much better than sitting in front of the computer or playing his PSP. However the E for everyone games doesnt really apply for younger children. My 4 yr old likes to "try" to play but it isnt real easy. She got her first wii game....a princess one. And she is just now really learning HOW to do what is needed to succeed in the game.

So....would it be good for winter. Sure. But you may want to look into the newer leapster toys and things that are used for the TV. They would be much more appropriate for your kids age group. they arent near as expensive and in another year or 2 you could invest in a wii for your older child. Thats just my opinion....then again I love to play WII with my 9 yr old LOL..... it would be fun for the adults too!
    MommaD2

Answer by MommaD2 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i think they're too young to be able to actually play the games
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:37 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• AP:That's not totally true. My son has been playing the tennis game and the base ball game since he was 3. He wasn't good at it but he understood how to play.
    OP:Some of the games are good exercise. Like the sports and playground games.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think it would be good exercise. My 3 year old loves to play games and well as my older children and if the games are going to get them moving then it has to be better then sitting on the couch vegging out.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I played the bowling and boxing games at my friend's house once and I was sore for a week! I would definitely say yes. They don't have to be good at either of those and they're very physical . .. especially the boxing.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• We just bought a wii and wii fit, my kids are 5 and 8, they love it! Even a 3 year old can comprehend the concept of baseball, bowling, etc... they may not be good at first , but can still get the jist of it. Personally, I love the Wii Fit!
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 9:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009