Friend w/ out of control toddler

I have a gf who always wants to get our older kids together for playdates. She even likes to shop together. For a long time we did our weekly grocery trips together. But her infant turned terror and I just cant bring myself to do it anymore. She wont sit still, she runs rampid through the stores, pulls stuff off shelves and even climbs on them. She climbs on everything....even walks out the front door unsupervised!!! She is now 2 and because she never corrected this problem it has become worse. The neighbor had to bring her little girl in b/c she was sitting in her driveway playing!!! My daughter is 4 and she has NEVER been that way....mostly b/c when she started I put a stop to it. She wont strap her child in a cart....and she is CONSTANTLY yelling.

Now she has her feelings hurt b/c I dont want to get together as much. And when we do I limit our time so i dont go crazy.

How do I handle this????? Do i talk to her about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'd explain to her as kindly as possible, that its easier for you to shop alone rather then helping her chase her kid around. or maybe go shopping with her once, and bring something along for her child to do while ya'll shop? would she possibly put her in the cart if she had a book or something to keep her occupied?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Unfortunately this kid NEVER sits still. A book wont do it. She is only still when she gets tired. When i had a similar situation with my son the dr. said simply." When your child is out of control you strap them into the cart.....do the same at home with a belt. Let them scream cry whatever until they learn that their behavior will only get them put into time out. If the child learns time out is serious business they will stop with the unruley behavior" This came from a very respected pediatrician. It worked for my son. When I explained this to her and told her what my dr. recommended she was offended and insulted.....to think anyone would do that to a child!! Well it worked for me LOL. Sometime u gotta do what u gotta do. So i keep my distance. I feel bad about it but what can i say!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my son is SO active, never sits still, always on the go - can't stand to be in the cart and will scream like crazy. He isn't naughty or mean, he's just active but I give him the opportunity to HELP at the stores - put groceries in the cart - he has fun doing it too - if he doesn't listen, I strap him in and he does scream like crazy but only for a bit, I just keep talking to him quietly not yelling so we both are screaming but eventually I get him distracted a bit - and he is known by my mom as Mr undistractable. Some kids are just born with that active nature! you just have to have the consistancy and patience to keep it going. Believe me, I have lost it with his fits and tempers but each time we BOTH learn
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2009