I have a question for parents with children on the autism spectrum. How many of you used those baby bouncers? The kind where you put your baby in it so they can bounce? I am wondering if there is a relation between baby bouncers and autism. My daughter had on and she is autistic, my son didn't have one and he is not? I never thought about it until recently but wouldn't that be a similar affect like people who shake their babies? Or am I just grasping at straws here?

I have looked at lots of pictures of babies that are autistic lately and I have noticed a lot of these baby bouncers in the pictures. My daughter loved to bounce so much but now that I know she is autistic I can't help but wonder about it possibly being caused by neck and brain damage due to baby-bouncers.

pheynixx

Asked by pheynixx at 11:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• Soooo Interesting!!! My 5 year old has Aspergers and lived in his bouncer. My 2 year old...did not like it at all. So did my oldest like it because he had autism? or could the bouncing cause autism. Bouncers are fairly new as is the rise in autism cases....very interesting. I like you question and the way that you are thinking. I to want to know Why? I am always looking for that common thread between autistic kids. Good thoughts! Now who can we share this idea with to have them do the research? Always more questions than answers...if ya want to talk more about these ideas, I would love to!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I don't have an answer, but just a thought. I have heard moms of autistic children (friends of mine) speculate that the vibrating baby seats could possibly have something to do with causing it. They are talking about those ones with the metal frame and batteries. They can vibrate HARD. It almost seems unsafe if you ask me.
    Amy514

Answer by Amy514 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• that's really interesting, good thoughts!!! Not sure, My son loved his vibrating baby seat, it kinda worries me now that someone said that.
    bianchi01

Answer by bianchi01 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• holy cow...just found this...
    http://www.slate.com/id/2151538/fr/rss/
    they think there's a link between autism and tv.
    bianchi01

Answer by bianchi01 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My son was never in one and is on the spectrum and has Prader-Willi Syndrome. My daughter on the other hand,LIVED in her vibrating bouncy seat until she was to big to fit in it. Then she upgraded to the swing that had to be on high at 3 months old..When she got bigger she pumped her legs to make it swing faster and that would pick the legs right off the floor. She is "normal" but just loves movement.
    simplysarah77

Answer by simplysarah77 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My son loved his boucner and is autistic. However, neither me nor my little sisters had them and we are austistic too. It has basically been proven that it is genetic, dealing with chromosome 15 and 16 abnormalities.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Both of my sons LOVED they're bouncers and neither are autistic.

But it is an interesting question.
    Sony_0025

Answer by Sony_0025 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Hi, my 4 yr old daughter lived in her bouncer and she is fine. But my son on the other hand never liked it. He hated anything confining
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• and he has been diagnoised with ASD, so in my case it's not a factor.  Thanks
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Wow...research definitely should be done. My kids had bouncy swings and bouncy seats and are fine--but it may depend on the child.
    Misha_Barista

Answer by Misha_Barista at 2:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2008