Has any major national headline news happened near or in the area where you live?

I remember when I was about 5 or 6 I think, Richard Ramirez had murdered someone around the corner from our house. And when I was living in Beaumont, California, Anthony Martinez was kidnapped from the street behind mine. You think things like this can't happen in your area or happen to you. Just wondering if anything major happened near where you live?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• 9/11.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Happens all the time where I am. Let's see...we had the huge wildfires. The guy who set the deadly Esperanza fire and has now been sentenced to death. Four Marines accused of killing a fellow Marine and raping and murdering his wife. An old caretaker accused of shooting up a religious retreat and killing two people.

There is NO SUCH THING as "it can't happen here." All kinds of things can happen ANYWHERE. As long as there are people, there is the possibility of things going wrong. As a journalist, my teeth grind when anyone frames a story as something that seems impossible in a quiet neighborhood....because as long as there are people it's ALWAYS possible.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The whole Casey Anthony thing happened right down the street. Trenton Ducket went missing from around here, and so did Jennifer Kessy. Jennifer Kessy's car was found about a block away from my house. I remember feeling so sad for her family. They were on the street corner, holding signs and waving at cars every weekend for nearly a year and a half after she disappeared. I hope they get some answers someday!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• That little girl, Nevaeh Buchanan, who was kidnapped and killed in June, that was about 20 minutes from my parent's home (we're temporarily on the other side of the country, but I think of that as home). Let's see, a few years ago there were Toledo riots because of the KKK coming to town, that was weird. We also live an hour south of Detroit, so we hear about the area A LOT.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Laci Peterson....
    Ann Heche going a bit cuckoo
    Paul Rodriguez rallying for farmers' water rights
    there are more, but I don't have enough details. We are in the heart of California--there always seems to be something going on.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 4:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The woman who murdered her 3 1/2 weeks old baby lives 20 minutes from us. That was news just last week. When you live close to a big city..awful news is frequent.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yes I live in Manhattan and the WTC were hit here on 911 as well as in the 93 attack. There have been other major new stories here but that's what comes to mind first.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 4:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The Republic Nat'l Convention last year. @@ Yikes.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Uhh, make that the 2008 REPUBLICAN Nat'l convention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• OJ Simpson was caught here at the Palace Station.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2009