How can I decorate a rental to make it feel more like a home?

I can't seem to make the condo we rent feel like a home. we can't paint the walls so they are all white. our furniture is all hand-me downs and mismatched. The only big item we have that I love is our red couch from Ikea - my mamaw's quilt looks beautiful on it.
Do any of you ladies have tips for making the space feel more "homey" instead of temporary? Our decorating "style" is a strange mix of Ikea and World Market things.

monroesmum

Asked by monroesmum at 4:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Check out wall stickers. They leave no residue, are cheap and they have children's ones and grown up ones.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would visit thrift stores if you are lucky you could find very unique items that look expensive and with a little elbow grease you can make them look like a million dollars. For instance I found some very unique and rare pieces of fabric, reach in color and organic designs, I bought a couple of shadow boxes from Ikea and voila I created a very unique and bold look. My friend liked them so much that I had to give them to her, no biggie what are friends for? Good luck in your haunt for treasures and enjoy the experience.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• you could do bold art pieces and get slipcovers to unify the other pieces of furniture with the couch. do you ever look at decorating cents on hgtv? they do a lot of rentals where they can't paint and stuff like that
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i'm in the same situation, i just made a collage with different frames sizes and look but all black, some with white matting. it really made the room look incredibly different. The other wall I'm going to get some inexpensive artwork, frame it and hang it up. Also a plant, i have to buy a hanging one due to my nutty cat and adventurous little one. also on a table I have a vase with thin wooden branches, looks really nice. as princessbeth said look a dec. cents. they once had an episode where they took a fabric that matched the furniture and adhesive spray and cut the fabric to fit the wall and put it up, it looked like wall paper, really beautiful.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Pillows, candles, colorful curtains, or use scarves as valances. Buy slipcovers that compliment the quilt and put over your mismatched furniture. That way, they won't look mismatched. Get some artwork from Hobby Lobby, vases of fake flowers. Hang up pictures of your family in different sized and colored frames. Or use black frames with white or colored mattings. If you or someone you know can sew, ask them to sew slipcovers for the furniture that you want to cover.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Add decorative pillows,, candles. Wall art. Maybe a bold mirror if art is not your thing. Put up a wall self and put things in the colors you have up. Area rugs if you keep your couch a solid color and have hard floors.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 9:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2009