HIV/ AIDS

Hey everyone so my husband cheated on me with another man in november and once back like 3 years ago and he swears one wore a condom and the other one didn't. But he got checked for STD's on May 4th and I was wondering if that was long enough from november to May for the HIV or AIDS to show up. He didn't tell me about this until thursday so I'm really worried cause I've slept with him since and now I'm just really scared cause it could have come to me and our unborn child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Health

• Probably long enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Go get yourself tested, most OB/GYN test all their new moms to be as part of regular blood work, you can ask them if they do or go to the health dept.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• At most, it can take 6 months to show up, but normally, less than 3 months. So it should have shown up when he was tested.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• This information may be outdated, but I was told it takes about 6 months for the antibodies to form for a positive result after exposure - although in some cases it can take up to 10 years for a positive result after infection.

Generally though, 3 negative tests in 12 months (a test, followed by 2 tests at 6 month intervals) is generally considered a negative result.

If you are AT ALL concerned, get tested! It is offered as one of the prenatal tests, but depending on where you are, it may be an opt-in or an opt-out.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Anon 32: Maybe she takes her marriage vows seriously and is giving him another chance. Maybe they are going through counseling. Maybe they are separated...we don't know because she didn't say anything about any of that in this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It can take up to six months for the HIV virus to show up in a blood test. After six months (if there is not any additional exposure to the virus), you are in the clear.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• yes we are separated for the time being and yes we are going through counceling but Anon 32 I didn't sleep with him knowing what he had done and yes I called and got the results from my prenatal and everything was okay on my part and his.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• OMG do some of you ever read a question fully before answering. She JUST found out Thursday.

As for the question. I think it's at least 6 months. I am truly sorry and pray you do not have it not just for yourself but your unborn baby. I would get in asap.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Wow, she asked a simple question. I will not judge for i would not want to be judged for all the stupid stuff i have done in my life.
    check this site out hun, and know it isn't your fault what he did
    http://www.avert.org/hivtesting.htm
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• thank you everyone :) It's nice to have support.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2009