how do i get my daughter to sleep in her bed

she goes to bed in her bed but in the middle of the night she gets in our bed

beth1234567

Asked by beth1234567 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine never did this, but i did, and my mom said the doctors told her to just pick me up after i'd fallen asleep in her bed and take me back to my bed, that after waking up in my own bed for awhile i'd just stay there. i have a gate on my daughters door b/c she used to wake up and either walk down the steps half awake or fall asleep at the top of the steps if she knew we were awake and didn't want to be in trouble for being out of bed, she'd lay down right by the top step and i'd find her there passed out. so we put a gate on her door so she can't get out w/o making alot of noise to warn us. so maybe gating her door if the carrying to her own room doesn't work. that way she has to call you and you can go sit with her in her room til she falls asleep in her own bed again.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Our doctor told us that their minds at that age work so fast that we can't guess what they are thinking. He said it was a phase that would pass. In vabchmommie's example there was actual danger, but for us- our son would drag his pillow and a blanket and sleep outside our bedroom door in the middle of the night- I'd make sure he was warm enough and let it go. Eventually he stopped.

Answer by Bmat at 4:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• All you can do really is repeatedly put her back in her bed. Don't talk to her just walk her back to her bed. Some people will sit in there by the bed and make the kid stay in the bed but make sure you don't talk to your kid. It takes a lot of time and a lot of patience.
    vickilouise85

Answer by vickilouise85 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2009