How do I get my son to stop undressing when he goes to the potty?

My son will be 3 at the beginning of Oct. He has been fully potty trained (both day and night) for about 2 weeks. And day trained for about 2 months. But I can't for the life of me get him to understand that he doesnt have to take his pants/shorts and underwear off when he goes to the bathroom. If we are out, it isn't an issue because A. I have to take him and B he has shoes on...so they don't come off easy. But at home, when he goes to the bathroom, he takes them both off, every....single....time. I don't know how to get him to understand this. I have tried explaining it, rewarding him for keeping them on and then pulling them back up...nothing is working for me here! Please help if you can!

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 4:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him time. They stop after a few months. Both of my two trained boys did the same thing. They have to get coordinated enough to sit on the potty with pants around their ankles and/or learn to pee standing up.

It's a process....just give it some time. Gently remind him that he doesn't need to undress..but don't push it in case he relapses and stops using the potty altogether!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:55 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Sorry . . so hilarious! I had a roommate when I was 20 and she had a 4 year old son who stripped down NAKED every time he went poo poo. I guess he was afraid of getting it on his clothes. You would see a trail of clothes heading to the bathroom. It was so funny! I had forgotten all about that! Thanks for the laugh. Just give him time or make him wear shoes at home until he stops . . I don't know. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2009