How do I get my little boy to stop undressing when he goes to the potty?

My son will be 3 at the beginning of Oct. He has been fully potty trained (both day and night) for about 2 weeks. And day trained for about 2 months. But I can't for the life of me get him to understand that he doesnt have to take his pants/shorts and underwear off when he goes to the bathroom. If we are out, it isn't an issue because A. I have to take him and B he has shoes on...so they don't come off easy. But at home, when he goes to the bathroom, he takes them both off, every....single....time. I don't know how to get him to understand this. I have tried explaining it, rewarding him for keeping them on and then pulling them back up...nothing is working for me here! Please help if you can! (posted in toddler category also)

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 4:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At this point I just say be glad he's potty trained. My son has been potty trained for quite some time now and he still undresses when he goes to the bathroom.. Hell my bf is 25 years old and takes his pants off when he goes so I think it's a boy/guy thing. I wouldn't worry about it. If that is what he's comfortable doing, let him do it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• both of my boys did this and i could not understand it either, leave it alone and he'll stop soon enough.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 9:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• my daughter did that too. It just took a LOOOOOONG time but some of my pet theories are:
    1. if they are on the big toilet the silly pants etc. kinda just shrug down and drive them crazy.
    2. they don't want to accidentally pee or poop on them (b/c you know that if you are pooping and you touch anything it gets poop on it .. this was my dd's explanation)
    3. they don't have the concept really down yet... you know when you did diapers they came off all the way and when you take a bath you take off you clothes.. I'm in the bathroom (next to the tub), i'm doing the poop/pee... of course it comes off (over generalization)
    4. I like to drive mommy nuts and make her have to redress me cause she's funny when she get upset.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2009