Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prego and unsure about legal issues

Have a friend who is pregnant. The father "says" he wants to be a part of the babys life. But this guy is a LOSER with a record...and a record of bad judgement, poor life decisions etc. The guy has no apt...sleeps at friends places, no car (since she owned and took back) and is a waiter. Obviously the fam doesnt care for the guy. She is scared and doesnt know what best to do to protect this baby from a dad who will prob come and go when he pleases if he is allowed.

Has anyone else been thru this? What legal things did you do to protect your child? Did u give child ur last name? is dads name on b.cert? How do u handle child support issues??? Is it better to leave the b.cert unknown and not seek child support so you dont have to share custody? This guy is not to be trusted not to be drunk and leave his kid in the car! Since she is flat broke & on unemployment where can she go for advice?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (2)
  • Legal Aid will give advice for free. But there is no reason to not put his name on any paper work, all he'd have to do is file for a paternity test to prove it's his. What she needs to do is once the baby is born, go down to the court house and file for full custody, whether that baby has his last name or not it's his child and he has every right to see it. If she gets full custody then they will set up visitation rights, unless she has prof the he will be a danger to that baby there is no way for her to fully keep him from seeing the baby. While she is filing for custody she can go after him for child support at the same time. It could take a while and if he really wants to be around his kid, he'll fight it, so it could end up with her owing some money, I'm not sure how it works exactly.

    Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

  • Well first off slap your friend for bringing an innocent baby to this world knowing the type of man he is. Second if she doesn't add him to the Birth Cert than she will have full custody if not than he will be able to take the baby whenever he wants and it won't be considered kidnapping and it goes both ways. She should get unemployment if she qualifies and get gov't assistance and there they will help her to receive child support. Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.